• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking boot fix

2005 kat with a '92 engine (8k miles).

I am using 05 carbs with 98+ boots.
    Carbs set to 2.5 turns out
    Height of Floats set to 13mm
    Carb rebuild kit was installed correctly per video 102 carbs.

I am at the stage where I have bench synced my carbs and I am ready to sync them with a Motion Pro sync tool.

Carbs #1 & #2 show a leak at both the carb/boot mating surfaces & Boot/cylinder head mating surfaces.

I have just purchased these boots (used but appear to be in good condition)
    replaced the Orings on the boots, torqued them down pretty good. And still there's a leak.

Is there any type of high temp silicon that I could use to seal this sync my carbs? and maybe a different clamp to be used?(the clamps are currently maxed out for how tight they can be.

I really don't want to have to purchased 2 left boots, and be stuck with the same leak.
    Last edited by Crunch13; 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM.
    '05 GXS600f
    First time rider
    DYNATEK Performance Ignition

I used permatex ultra black hi temp gasket maker/sealer good for 500 deg.
    found this at Canadian tire stores & most automotive stores should have something similar. I used it on the o-ring side when installing the carb boot the the cyl -head. Just smooth some around the o=ring is all you need and gives you just a little extra insurance for leaks.

Your boot clamps are the original Suzuki ones I hope and not the automotive
    type. If your maxing them out maybe your over tightening them an causing a leak.? Also make sure your installing the airbox to carbs first ( you can twist around the airbox with your hand inside to make sure the airbox boots are seated to the carbs and be careful when tightening the clamps)install air filter then airbox and carbs to the engine.

Comment

I will give that a shot with the Permatex.

And as for the Carbs/airbox, yes they clamped and joined before installing them on the bike. It almost seems that the clamps I am using are too large for the Carb/Boot exhaust. They are tightened the whole way and I believe some have a tighter contact than others. (i.e. boots 3 & 4 are tight but are not maxed out. boots clamps 1 & 2 are maxed out but not near as tight.

Would it be a bad idea to use an aftermarket clamp for the boots to ensure they are tight enough?

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
      I used permatex ultra black hi temp gasket maker/sealer good for 500 deg.
      found this at Canadian tire stores & most automotive stores should have something similar. I used it on the o-ring side when installing the carb boot the the cyl -head. Just smooth some around the o=ring is all you need and gives you just a little extra insurance for leaks.

Your boot clamps are the original Suzuki ones I hope and not the automotive
      type. If your maxing them out maybe your over tightening them an causing a leak.? Also make sure your installing the airbox to carbs first ( you can twist around the airbox with your hand inside to make sure the airbox boots are seated to the carbs and be careful when tightening the clamps)install air filter then airbox and carbs to the engine.
      '05 GXS600f
      First time rider

Comment

Update: The permatex worked great! No leaks and got it synced using a Motion Pro Sync tool. Great investments and recommended.
        '05 GXS600f
        First time rider

Comment

Working...
        X