No announcement yet.
X

Just Bought Kat #3, Need your opinions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought Kat #3, Need your opinions!

As the title states, I just bought my 3rd Kat, a bone stock 12k mile '03 600F. She was sitting in the PO's shed for over a year and doesnt run, so I have some work ahead of me. The reason for the post is this: Should I leave her stock and just get her running? Or should I go all out and go for a jet kit, exhaust, and timing advance.
    Leave it Stock!
    71.43%
    Go for Broke!
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

Why flog a GSX600F if you want more power???
    Just buy a faster bike.

Comment

Jet kit and advancer are ~180. Hell yes worth it. Not sure what you mean by exhaust - can, or whole system? if you're aiming for whole system for performance, don't have personal experience but don't think the $700 is going to be worth it. If you're just after sound, a couple hundred for the can is way less. IMHO, not worth it either, but that's 100% personal taste.

If I were going all out, I would leave the exhaust as I'd and drop the $ into getting proper springs for your weight, and getting a post 750 rear shock rebuilt and resprung for your weight. Handling is worlds better.
      Again personal opinion and depends on what's important to you and what youre going to use the bike for.

I vote upgrade.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ok we have a poll: for one, what does your Idea of "go for broke"? There are two things a katana needs 1) jet kit, stock or not. 2) suspension upgrades, this will yield a way better handling ride, SS level- no.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Ok we have a poll: for one, what does your Idea of "go for broke"? There are two things a katana needs 1) jet kit, stock or not. 2) suspension upgrades, this will yield a way better handling ride, SS level- no.
          I was thinking along the lines of jet kit, timing advance, and a slip on can just to be different from the other Kats in my garage, the new one already has a 750 rear shock. Have yet to see whats inside the forks, but I suspect they aren't stock as the ride quality is considerably better than my stock Kat.

Long story short, since I have to tear her down to get her running anyway, I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions for what to put where, or conversely if I should just leave well enough alone.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Jet kit and advancer are ~180. Hell yes worth it. Not sure what you mean by exhaust - can, or whole system? if you're aiming for whole system for performance, don't have personal experience but don't think the $700 is going to be worth it. If you're just after sound, a couple hundred for the can is way less. IMHO, not worth it either, but that's 100% personal taste.

If I were going all out, I would leave the exhaust as I'd and drop the $ into getting proper springs for your weight, and getting a post 750 rear shock rebuilt and resprung for your weight. Handling is worlds better.
          Again personal opinion and depends on what's important to you and what youre going to use the bike for.

I vote upgrade.
          Probably a can at this point, though I may just leave it stock. Was considering a full system for a bit, but that proved hard to find.

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
          Why flog a GSX600F if you want more power???
          Just buy a faster bike.
          Not really looking to make power at this point, Just looking to have a little fun and create something different. More power would simply be a happy coincidence.
          Last edited by Phantom552; 06-09-2015, 11:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My first bike was a pre600, if I could do it all over again, I would have just kept walking and saved my money on a better bike, because now it's 3 years later and I've spent WAY more than a decent bike would have cost.

you say it's not even running? the business man in me says get it running and re-sell it for hopefully more than you've put into it.

Comment

I say go for broke and make it what you want it to be. No matter what you do you can never expect to get your money back out of a bike. They are like women, ride them while you can, they are going to cost you eventually.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

+1
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                X