X

Gas Tank Sealer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Sealer?

Going to be removing rust from my tank in the near future using either electrolysis or a solvent-based means, and I saw a lot of info advising against using a tank sealer as (according to the posts) has a habit of flaking off and/or generally causing problems.

In the experience of the currently active members, is a sealer like POR-15 worth using? If you don't use a sealer, how does one prevent tank rust from returning? Thanks!

Por 15 is great, used it on 2 tanks so far. ~$60 for the kit, I think it's a sound investment. Rust gone and any pin holes sealed, and no worries of flaking off or rust reoccurring.

As far as preventing rust w/o a liner, store the bike indoors and ride it frequently so water doesn't have a chance to be absorbed by the gas. If the bike had to sit for an extended period of tome, fill the tank all the way and add some star-Tron or something similar.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The POR kit is really the one you should use given any choices. Other kits like Red Kote are laytex based and can break down/release from the tank surface.

The POR kit both chemically treats the rust, and encapsulates.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

pot 15 all the way. Won't flake and cause problems excellent durable finish. Plus they make a kit for gas tanks doesn't get much simpler

Comment

Working...
        X