No announcement yet.
X

pool of oil under the bike this mornig?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pool of oil under the bike this mornig?

So i found a fool of oil under the bike this morning. Narrowed it down to coming out of the vent tube by the right footpeg. It smelled of fuel so I am guessing something is wrong with my petcock guess i need to rebuild it.... could it be anything else? does this sound right?

Thanks ahead of time.

It's the carbs chief. Specifically the float heights or the float needls. If they were working like they should, it wouldn't matter if the petcock needed to be rebuilt. It's also not oil, it's fuel.

Comment

Huh? Oil by the right peg is from the petcock on the left????? If you have fuel in oil your carbs aren't sealing fuel off. Pull the fuel line off the petcock to see if it's leaking, that is if you didn't leave it in prime. The petcock may be an issue but, the carbs are the cause. Smell your oil and check the level.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm with arsenic. Smell your oil. Does it smell like fuel. A float prolly got crud in it and didn't close and allowed full to fill the intake of the head, then drained into your case, overfilling it and leaking it all over ur floor. Check you oil level and smell it for fuel. If its normal height and doesn't smell of fuel, move on to 92xjunkers solution. My 2 cents
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I think what he means, the way I read it, if it's coming out of a drain hose, I'm guessing he means the air box drain hose. I'm not sure obviously, but that's the way I'd diagnose it.

Comment

I read it that way also. It was just the dianosis that was strange..
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

The only time fuel leaks out of the back of the carbs is when a float is stuck wide open. That would put fuel, and only fuel, right into the air box.

Comment

i realize that. He stated that oil mixed with fuel comming out of a hose was the petcock. To me that was strange but, I know better. He doesn't
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

My quick diagnoses this morning I was thinking the diaphragm on the petcock is leaking causing fuel to go into crankcase via vacuum line. I could be wrong ... probably am. Does anyone have a pre cat service manual I can download? The links art working on the site.

Comment

The wiki is back up, you can download one from there.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Was the fuel tank recently filled per chance? If you overfill the tank over a hot engine or it is heated in the sun, the fuel will expand through the cap vent and run down the overflow tube. Your airbox line should be capped so it shouldn't just drip fuel.

Comment

I too had my airbox filled with fuel. Fixe the petcock and clean the carbs. My float needle in #4 carb had crud built up around the tube not letting it the float close.
                        sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          The wiki is back up, you can download one from there.
                          Still won't let me download says "not found"

Comment

Also if that is the drain tube from the bottom of the airbox it should be caped off, you open and drain it when you change the oil.

Originally posted by Bishop112 View Post
                            Still won't let me download says "not found"
                            Right click and "save as"file.
                            Last edited by ZukiFred; 06-08-2015, 06:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Update

Ok. So the problem was the floats like everyone suggested. There was some oil in the box that was probably never drained since the bike was new. (only has 1076 miles on it) and added with the fuel I thought it may be a whole different problem that what it was. I took the carbs off and went through them (Thanks Carbs 101) and cleaned everything and put it back together and now its running better than when I got it. The previous owner said he went through the carbs I have a feeling he didnt go through them that well.

Now all I have left to do to the bike is put the fairings on, find some mirrors, and ride.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                              X