X

key stuck in gas cap lock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key stuck in gas cap lock

So I went to get gas today, which I was able to do, but when I went to close the cap, the key wouldn't come out. The key wouldn't turn completely straight so it was stuck. I spent 5 minutes jiggling this thing every which way trying not to break my key (I only have 1 right now) and finally got it out. I don't know if I'll be so lucky next time.

My question: Where/What parts of the cap/lock would I need to clean or possibly take apart to fix this problem? I'd rather not buy a new one. Would WD-40 work if I just soaked the damn thing? Pb blaster even?

Thanks all
    1998 Katana GSX750F
    “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Just a suggestion, before your next thread is titled "I broke my only key". Go get another one, like now.

Comment

Electrical cleaner, blow it out with air and follow with graphite lock and cylinder lube. Comes in a small tube.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Just a suggestion, before your next thread is titled "I broke my only key". Go get another one, like now.
        Oh that's happening this weekend if they can get my key right this time. After I left my key in NYC at my relatives house, she shipped it to me in an envelope and it was ripped out of the envelope during shipping. (my fault it was left there but come-on lol)

The suzuki key code I gave them produced a key that didn't work and it's too long for walmart (at least the one I went to). Any suggestions for getting a duplicate?

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Electrical cleaner, blow it out with air and follow with graphite lock and cylinder lube. Comes in a small tube.
        Sounds good. I'll grab those this weekend and see how it goes.
        1998 Katana GSX750F
        “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

Suzuki dealer
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Take your key to any Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. and have them cut a copy of your key. It's really not that hard.

Comment

Too late, He doesn't have one. It was lost in shipping.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Too late, He doesn't have one. It was lost in shipping.
                I think he meant he lost his second key.

Comment

Take your key to any Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. and have them cut a copy of your key. It's really not that hard.
                  I've never had those places have the right key blank. I've only found them at mom/pop locksmiths or on eBay.
                  But yeah, key definitely needed. I've had great luck spraying a teeny bit of graphite lock lube every ~6 months or so. I go around and do every lock at home and the vehicles all at once, never had an issue since I started doing that ~5 years ago.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I found a local locksmith store that made up 3 extra keys.
                    You can also find blank keys on ebay.

Comment

Well, actually, it can be that hard... I've yet to find any place locally (in the 2 years I've had my bike) that can get me a spare key made...

Comment

Exactly that. They don't have the blanks I need. I saw a seller on eBay that sells motorcycle keys for about 25 do i will try that most likely.

And yes I have my spare currently, lost my original.

Thanks guys
                        1998 Katana GSX750F

Comment

I must have gotten lucky. I took my key, a broken in two key, and had copies made. It was a mom and pop locksmith place though. I just figured it wasn't that hard, but maybe it is.

Comment

Well I found what was causing my key to get stuck. There weren't many options but I guess I have some corrosion on the latch.

The culprit
                            Before
                            After

Not sure if I was clear before but basically I wasn't able to twist the key all the way counter clockwise to take my key out. I cleaned up the corrosion a bit and it works fine now. Might replace later, might fix again later, but I'm assuming fuel was the cause.
                            1998 Katana GSX750F

Comment

I got "broken in two" Honda CBR key cut at a local mom n pop shop for $7.00. Worked great too
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X