X

Three questions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three questions...

Two for me, one for a friend that I didn't know the answer to.

First, on my '95 600 I have had an issue with the bike dying while braking. So far it has restarted every time with a bit of cranking, but it is clearly very rich when it does first restart. I've narrowed it down to it happening only when the fuel enrichment system is in play while the engine is warming. It happens with even a moderately hard brake application, doesn't have to be a panic stop level of braking. Most of the time it happens I can smell fuel when it stops and it give a few puffs of black smoke out the tailpipe upon restart.
    My mind tells me that somehow the fuel enrichment system is flooding the carbs under braking, but I can't figure out how. Ideas?

Second, I had to replace a front turn signal bulb. Done it before, no problems, lights flash both front and rear with no issue....except that that are doing the fast flash like I have a bulb out. Thoughts?

Third, riding with a friend the other day and noted a weird wear pattern on his front tire. It seems to be wearing off center by at least 1/2 inch. When we got back to his place I checked out his front end: Bearings feel fine, wheel is mounted properly and seems straight (i.e. not bent rim), forks are at the same height in the triples and mounted solidly. Head bearings are smooth and don't seem to have any play in them. My only thoughts are maybe either the oil is at different levels in the tubes or he has one spring weaker than the other? Bent frame? He says he hasn't noticed it riding weird, but then he's newer at riding than I am... Guesses or experience welcome!
    Last edited by skjeflo; 05-15-2015, 11:11 AM.

Genuinely came into this thread thinking "My time to shine... 3 questions? 0 replies? let's do this..."

But I'm stumped on all 3. Subscribing though, out of curiosity.

Sorry mate.
    1998 Katana GSX750F
    “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

Here's my guesses without seeing the bike..

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
      First, on my '95 600 I have had an issue with the bike dying while braking. So far it has restarted every time with a bit of cranking, but it is clearly very rich when it does first restart. I've narrowed it down to it happening only when the fuel enrichment system is in play while the engine is warming. It happens with even a moderately hard brake application, doesn't have to be a panic stop level of braking. Most of the time it happens I can smell fuel when it stops and it give a few puffs of black smoke out the tailpipe upon restart.
      My mind tells me that somehow the fuel enrichment system is flooding the carbs under braking, but I can't figure out how. Ideas?
      Floats set to low, so any de-acceleration causes the float to open (rise) and flood the system
      Maybe Arsenic has some ideas about this.

Second, I had to replace a front turn signal bulb. Done it before, no problems, lights flash both front and rear with no issue....except that that are doing the fast flash like I have a bulb out. Thoughts?
      Stock indicators or after market? I have seen aftermarket units that either don't have enough load to trigger the unit (relay), or just enough to make it behave like a bulb is out, LED replacements will make it behave like a bulb is out as well.
      Make sure you have the correct bulb, I've had that happen before.

Third, riding with a friend the other day and noted a weird wear pattern on his front tire. It seems to be wearing off center by at least 1/2 inch. When we got back to his place I checked out his front end: Bearings feel fine, wheel is mounted properly and seems straight (i.e. not bent rim), forks are at the same height in the triples and mounted solidly. Head bearings are smooth and don't seem to have any play in them. My only thoughts are maybe either the oil is at different levels in the tubes or he has one spring weaker than the other? Bent frame? He says he hasn't noticed it riding weird, but then he's newer at riding than I am... Guesses or experience welcome!
      Do both fork lowers compress evenly? if one is stuck it could possibly cause the odd wear, by not extending completely, a bent head stock could do the same.
      Does your friends experience any head shake at any speed? If he has very light grip on the bars what does the front end do? Does the bike track straight but wants to lean to either side?

Good luck
      Last edited by GSXFJim; 05-15-2015, 06:18 PM.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

haha i got pretty much nothing too. As for the third question, could the tire be scalloped from riding with low air pressure?
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Floats set to low, so any de-acceleration causes the float to open (rise) and flood the system
          Maybe Arsenic has some ideas about this.

I'd go with this, except that the only time it does it is when the fuel enrichment system in on. When its warm I can nail the brakes, going downhill even, and it acts like it should.

Stock indicators or after market? I have seen aftermarket units that either don't have enough load to trigger the unit (relay), or just enough to make it behave like a bulb is out, LED replacements will make it behave like a bulb is out as well.
          Make sure you have the correct bulb, I've had that happen before.

Aftermarket, but they have been working fine for the past year, right up until the bulb change. I'll be pulling it apart this weekend so I'll be checking the bulb out then any way. I'm thinking that the new bulb might be barely making a ground for some some reason.

Do both fork lowers compress evenly? if one is stuck it could possibly cause the odd wear, by not extending completely, a bent head stock could do the same. Does your friends experience any head shake at any speed? If he has very light grip on the bars what does the front end do? Does the bike track straight but wants to lean to either side?

Will do our best to check these out this weekend.

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
          haha i got pretty much nothing too. As for the third question, could the tire be scalloped from riding with low air pressure?
          A possibility, but wearing only on one side?

Comment

Totally a shot in the dark man. What about the rear wheel out of line? It would take the bike out of true straight. Best you ride is the best you know, maybe he didnt notice? Haha i dunno man. These a some real shots in the dark. Brainstorming, if you will. lol
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

does the bike drive straight with hands off bars? if rear wheel is straight it should still go straight.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
              X