Valve Clearance Diagram - Confused

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Clearance Diagram - Confused

Hey everyone.

I was checking the valve clearances on my 1996 katana 600 the other night to soothe my nerves after breaking the bolt on my valve cover at the very front above the exhaust .....anyway I was looking at both the service manual and this write-up (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133174) and noticed that the picture in the write up was flipped upside down. However, the picture in the service manual does not seem to be drawn correctly if you look at the area around the spark plug holes circled in blue it does not match what is found on my bike. but the valve cover bolts, circled in red, seem to be drawn correctly.

Therefore, I'm not sure which valve clearances I should be checking when the cam notches are facing towards and away from each other.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Here is a picture to show what I'm talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9U...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by zlatan; 05-11-2015, 04:38 PM.

So, I don't have the manual in front of me, or an open engine... but I can tell you it should be pretty damn obvious which ones you can sort of get a feeler gauge into, and which ones you can't.

My hazy memory thinks this one is correct though:
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The service manual tells you exactly which valves and the gap ranges. you need to read not just look at the pictures.....
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yea I think the one posted in the tutorial seems to be the correct order judging by the feeler gauges.

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        The service manual tells you exactly which valves and the gap ranges. you need to read not just look at the pictures.....
        I read it

C valves when notches on cams are facing away from each other and D valves when facing towards each other ...pretty straight forward.

"Turn crankshaft to bring the "T" mark on the rotor to the
        center of pick up coil and also to bring the notches (1) in
        the right ends of both camshafts (Ex and In) to the positions
        shown. In this condition, read the valve clearance at
        the valves © (In and Ex of No.1 cylinder, Ex of No.2 and
        In of No.3) .

Turn the crankshaft 3600 (one rotation) to bring the "T"
        mark on the rotor to the center of pick up coil and also to
        bring the notches (1) to the positions shown .
        • Read the clearance at the remaining valves (D) and adjust
        the clearance if necessary.

Which by my understanding means that diagram is suppose to be labeled like this. Seems they just mixed up the Cs and Ds on the left and right sides. Or are the cylinders numbered from right to left like the tutorial picture shows?

Comment

Just as shown, right to left. Don't pay attention to the C's and D's just check and adjust as written. One set of valves, rotate and the reset of the valves if the illustration confuses you. You'll get the same results. Basically you'll know what valves to adjust by the cam lobes possition, up.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Hahaahha omg. im such an idiot. you are so right why am i even looking at the diagram. the lobe positions tell me which ones to check...LoL trying to extract the bolt out of my cylinder head has been obviously making me stupid.

Comment

I've had the "I'm such an idiot" feeling a hundred times. That's how you learn and get better. I learned everything I know from doing it wrong once. If you ever have the "I'm such an idiot" moment for the same thing twice, than you really are an idiot bro.

Comment

Hey now!!!! I have had that more than once but, it was an odd ball issue that once I did it twice I remembered.....
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Hey now!!!! I have had that more than once but, it was an odd ball issue that once I did it twice I remembered.....
                  I guess I can see it happening twice for some odd ball issues. I gotta draw the line at three Guy, there's no redemption for that.

Comment

I'll give you the two. Odd ball excluded.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                    X