X

Perfect example of The Best you've ridden is the best you know

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect example of The Best you've ridden is the best you know

So... As some of you know, Im in the midst of a front suspension upgrade. Well, I decided today I was going to finish it. Plans fell thru and opened up my evening. So... first off, when I took the first fork apart, the damper adjusting tube was not connected to the cap. I thought, it was supposed to slide off since its not completely round. Then I couldnt get the damper adjuster rube to pull out of the damper rod mesh. I thought it was flared (which didnt make sense since they wouldnt be able flare it INSIDE a tube. but i continue. I pull the damper rod out, and there is no small spring on it (rebound spring) I saw that there was one on walkthrough, but I already decided that must have been a 750 or 1100 fork and therefore slightly different. I got it brazed and drilled and i go out to put it all together. So, I pulled the second fork apart as a refresher and low and behold, the damping adjustment rod is still connected to the cap AND pulled right out of the damper rod mesh... Hm... Completely opposite yet, spot on with the walkthrough. Then I slide the damper rod to see that it IN FACT VERY WELL SHOULD BE A SECOND SPRING. These assholes took it apart, broke it, and forgot to put parts back when the put it back together.

So I have now came to the realization that every time I took a spirited ride, I was rolling 100+ mph with half a suspension.... and a shitty suspension at that. I never even knew. I thought it was was a dog in the corners cuz its heavy and lifted in the rear ( higher center of gravity, longer distance across an arc to get low in the corners). All ive ridden prior to betty was a couple mid 80's cruiser. even with the crappy suspension, it handled better so I thought it was great. Ive since ridden a plethora of sport bikes. CBRs GSXRs, and a yamaha. They handled wayyyyy better, BUT its not a sportbike so I took it as that.

Wow.... I now cant WAIT for this job to be done to feel how wonderful she is going to handle.

And Im going to go ahead and order a pair of rebound springs and replace them both.

The damper rod on the left is cleaner becuase I cleaned it up after i brazed/drilled it. Just to be clear, it didnt look like that when I took it apart.

And although everything about that fork is FUBARRED the tube wasnt bent. I did that prying the mesh off.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Spring and emulators or just springs? If you install emulators that rod goes away.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Emulators too. It all gets junked. I just wanted demonstrate a point. Lucky for me, all the broken parts go away with the introduction of the emultars. Question though, does the damer adjustment sleeve thats inside the damper rod (under the mesh) go away too, or do you just turn it to the unbrazed hole and assemble?

Did I mention that I CANT WAIT to feel it handle now. Soooo glad I did this and I havent even finished it yet!!
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I can't remember... I think I still have my info. You'll be amazed.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

that goes away

Comment

thats what i was thinking on the basis of what happens if it shifts for some reason and blocks the hole? Thanks for the confirmation arsenic.
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
            X