Problem after small carb job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem after small carb job

Hi All,

I recently replaced the main carb spindle and butterfly with secondhand ones as the old ones were damaged. Everything now looks fine and the valve opens and closes as it should. No other parts of the carbs were disturbed.

I had also checked and adjusted the valve clearances so thought I would re sync the carbs. The bench sync also looked perfect.

Unfortunately the engine now has a high tickover and it is now more or less impossible to balance carbs 1 and 2 with carbs 3 and 4 as the adjuster screw runs out of thread and is likely to drop out of it's threaded hole. 1+2 and 3+4 balance okay.

Does the new butterfly need to be "run in" ? It looks perfect to be honest. If it does ..how? I thought this might be the problem before I look for vac leaks or start cleaning the carbs, especially the pilot circuit. the carbs were only cleaned 2000 miles ago and have been perfect until I dismantled them to replace the damaged parts.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Did you balance the sync tool before you started the sync?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

To sync the carbs I used the home made method involving two glass jars, bungs, oil and lengths of tubing. This technique has always worked perfectly in the past with excellent results.

I have never had this particular problem before.

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

No replies !!

I'll let you know what was wrong when I've sorted it, for future reference.

Comment

Bench sync the carbs and sync again
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
            X