Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

'05 GSX600F - Engine Rebuildable?/Total Loss?/Replace Engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the fuck would you tear apart an engine you just bought? Did you buy an engine or a parts bike with an engine in it? If it's just an engine, install it in your motorcycle and ride it. If it's a parts bike, remove engine, install it in your motorcycle and ride it.

Comment

I agree
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If it looks like it is in decent shape I would install and ride, I would recommend you check the valve adjustment as it will be easy to access before installing in the bike though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

before you do anything get it running on the bike. then if you find out something needs to be improved you dont hav 19320 variables to check when it doesnt start
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Well, after putting on the sprocket from my original engine, I saw some of the rubber bushings were shot ~I have replaced them~. It got me thinking, I probably should change out the other gaskets (already have them ordered from the previous bike)since its 23 year old engine. The previous owner said it was running before it was parted out. But I have a hard time trusting other people and their opinion of functioning and performing correctly.

I did notice that the oil pan had a slight crack on the bottom of it. Which I replaced the oil strainer and oil pan with my 05 engine I have been parting out.

*note for future reference*

If you need to change your Pre-kat oil pan with a post-kat oil pan, you NEED to change your OIL STRAINER/FILTER MECHANISM as well. The pre-kat strainer will not allow clearance for the Post-kat oil pan to assemble. So for any reason you do decide to do this, be sure to find a Pre oil pan + Pre Oil Strainer OR Post oil pan + Post Oil Strainer.
            '05 GXS600f
            First time rider
            DYNATEK Performance Ignition

Comment

Update on Progress:

Engine is installed; had a hard time putting the engine in, I still have one engine bolt that is being a b**ch to put in.

Tested it without bothering with the last bolt and it runs. Choppy, but it runs. Fresh oil, fresh gas and the way it was running when I sprayed the carb boots with starter fluid, causing the bike to rev higher on each boot. I have the '92 boots on the engine and '05 carbs.

I heard the early kats have 34mm boots where as the '05 would use 32mm boots for the post kat carbs. Is that true? I've got some post boots on the way along with fresh O-rings.

Plus I also ordered a Motion Pro sync tool to sync these puppies. Should be interesting. Just hoping nothing goes wrong after so much invested in this piece.
              '05 GXS600f
              First time rider
              DYNATEK Performance Ignition

Comment

Working...
              X