X

01 katana 600 help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 katana 600 help

So I just got this bike about 2 weeks ago. Is my first bike and figured it would be a good starter bike to learn more about the mechanical side of taking care of my motorcycle. The bike has 34k miles on it and would run a little rough when cruising about 40 mph or so. Figured would take a look into getting carbs cleaned up. Yesterday I went for about a 2 hour ride before work (love riding motorcycles so freaking much! ) stopped at home for about thirty min to eat. When I went back out to the bike I could hear a rumbling in the tank. I opened the fuel cap and it released a lot of pressure, and the gas looked to be bubbling for about thirty seconds. Being an idiot I drove it to work, when I went to lunch went out to the bike and it was just dripping gas constant. Being my lunch is at 8pm was to dark to see exactly where it was coming from. I carried the bike home in a trailer and will start working on it tomorrow. My only thoughts is a line got clogged and caused all the pressure which maybe ruptured a line? The bike drained all but the bottom of the tank and won't start. When I try to start can hear the starter spinning but the bike won't turn over. The more I try the weaker the spinning gets. My question is what all it could be and any advice. Like I said I'm completely new to this but not afraid to learn. Also if anyone knows a good place to get a repair manual or something for the bike to show me how to do all the work I need to on the bike would be great! Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

The bottom of the hot got real hot, it should have insulation on the bottom, your cap isn't venting. Check your oil for the smell of fuel. Recharge the battery. Remove the tank, put some fuel in and check for leaks, may be the petcock leaking. No leaks from there, your carbs would be where the leak(s) is.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Keep the faith, you can deal with this. Just be methodical and logical. The recommendations 92xjunker gave are the best place to start. Good Luck.

Comment

The vent for tank pressure is in the gas cap.

Disassemble, clean, polish the internals, and use a dry graphite for lube. No liquid.

Increase pressure lowers the boiling point of liquids. It does not take much pressure to make gas boil at room temperature even. Fixing the vent in the gas cap will resolve that concern.

High pressure in the tank could over power the petcock, allowing fuel to be forced past. This would continue to flow fuel to the carbs. I wouldn't expect the pressure to be enough to over power them. They should stop the flow of fuel to prevent leaking. If you set the petcock to prime, and wait... does it leak?

If yes, then clean the carbs and adjust/replace parts to resolve this. Check the carbs 101/102 depending on model.

Once all that is done, you probably need an oil change as fuel is probably in your oil. If you can smell gas in the oil, it's contaminated and needs changed. Expect more to come out than normal.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks for all the help so far gone! I got the tank off the hoses look okay, the only question is the petCock. There's no markings on the bike to show which direction is what. If I'm up or down the gas will not flow, but if I put it on the side the gas will flow. This one also will spin completely around. most things I have read only show three positions so does this mean I need a new petcock? What is each position.

Comment

Petcock should not spin 360 deg. Petcock positions forward= reserve. Down=run rear=prime
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The petCock is being replaced, have changed oil and gotten everything else ready. Had a quick question tho. When taking the tank off the hose coming directly from petcock had what looked to me like a fuel filter, was all gummed up. What is that exactly so I can order another.

Comment

It would have been a fuel filter. 98-06 Kats have them. Earlier ones do not.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                X