X

2000 Katana 600 butterfly valves not opening all the way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Katana 600 butterfly valves not opening all the way

I have a 2000 katana 600 that i am having a throttle problem with. The bike idles and runs good but when you crank the throttle all the way open in feels like you are only getting about half throttle. I thought it was a cable adjustment problem, but i unhooked the cables from the carburetor throttle linkage and moved the linkage to see how far the metal flaps were opening (i think they are technically called throttle valves or butterfly valves). To my surprise they only open about 20% then stop, even with the cables completely unhooked. On every other bike i've had they open all the way. I haven't messed with the carbs at all but a previous owner could have. It looks like the throttle positioning sensor has been moved at some point. would moving the sensor allow the butterfly valves to open further? I'm no stranger to motorcycle carbs but i'm really confused by this. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    -Calvin

Take it off and try opening the throttle plates fully. Maybe the sensor is damaged and locking the throttle up. Or check down the carb bore and see if the slide guide is fully in place.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

not sure about the posts but also check the intake boot clamps. If not set right, they can get in the way of the throttle mechanism in the pres.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
        not sure about the posts but also check the intake boot clamps. If not set right, they can get in the way of the throttle mechanism in the pres.
        X2. Has happened to me before

Comment

X3 if you serviced the carbs cylinder 3 would be the ninja clamp that gets in the way.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            X3 if you serviced the carbs cylinder 3 would be the ninja clamp that gets in the way.
            Have I told you guys lately that you are a bunch of geniuses. Wouldn't you know the bolt on the carb 3 clamp was in the way of the throttle mechanism ever so slightly. I can't wait to see what this thing feels like wide open throttle.

Comment

spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by firechicken View Post
                Have I told you guys lately that you are a bunch of geniuses. Wouldn't you know the bolt on the carb 3 clamp was in the way of the throttle mechanism ever so slightly. I can't wait to see what this thing feels like wide open throttle.
                def not gonna feel like your buddys r1 but shit i got mine cause its fun and comfy and plenty fast enough .

Comment

2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Hi Kat riders. i have a big problem looking for genius input please or photos. I have a 04 katana 600 I took the carbs apart, cleaned well and left aside until all parts came in to overhaul. I put it all back together and now the spacers small ones are free spinning as if in the wrong spot. Carb is tight tried moving them into another position to no progress. Can I get some help please? Thank you.

Comment

Go to the homepage. Scroll down and click on mechanics 101 and click the new thread button and start a new thread. Your questions will get answered much more efficiently...
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Carb problem

Hi Kat riders. Ihave a big problem looking for genius input please or photos. I have a 04 katana 600 I took the carbs apart, cleaned well and left aside until all parts came in to overhaul. I put it all back together and now the spacers small ones are free spinning as if in the wrong spot. Carb is tight tried moving them into another position to no progress. Can I get some help please? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X