No announcement yet.
X

2001 gsxf

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id say you most likely have spark because of the fact you shotgun fire after cranking. The CDI will pull power threw the coil to charge and then open, this causes the collapse in the field and the spark to fire 1&4 2&3 fire at the same time, one on compression the other on exhaust (waste spark). On a waste spark system you are witnessing a loaded cylinder and exhaust with fuel vapor, the exhaust valve open, and after a pause of cranking and key on the CDI opens the circuit, field collapsed, vapor ignites and you get that lovely shotgun sound (loud).

Good cheap test equipment like a injector noid light across the coil terminals will blink while cranking. This will show you have a drive signal to the coils. Next would be to check spark at the plugs, another cheap tool like the the thexton spark gap tester is a good thing to have.

I'd say over fueling problem, flooding or its one coil down. Pull all your plugs see if they are all wet or just some.

Comment

That has been checked... That pickup must generate a specific voltage to the CDI. If that voltage is low, you get intermittent spark. There's a member here that had the same symptoms. Turned out to be the pickup. Measured fine, was getting spark (from a couple sets of coils) and fuel just no start and a few afterfires.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I took the pick up off and have a broken magnet completely broken across, Which if I am correct is a weak field (Hall effect) that just might do it. I am getting a new magnet once installed I will give you all an update. (fingers crossed)

Comment

Well The new pick up coil was not the cure. starting to get very depressed it seems I am the only person to face this dilemma. I must have a bad wire to something some where. And after removing EVERY connector and cleaning them with contact cleaner I still have a big fat nothing. What about a key switch? Has any one had that as a problem that sounds like this? I am at my wits end

Comment

Question, are the plugs wires on the correct plugs? Left 1&4 right 2&3 and the correct power wires on the corresponding coils?
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You mention you have this issue after the bike has been sitting. Are you putting any fuel stabilizer in the tank before it gets put up for winter? Could be bad fuel or water in fuel.

You said you verified it has spark and the plugs were wet. Sounds like it's flooding. Is your enrichener (choke) working correctly?

Comment

92Xjunker and everyone else I want to THANK YOU all for the help and your time you took to read my postings......ITS ALIVE!!!! yup it took a different set of coils. Now saying that I DID ohm them out & I even ohmed out the the ones I got and they read the same. I even had another gentleman with a better multimeter than mine and he got the same numbers. But for one reason or another the new/used ones work! So again I will end this post with a big THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X