X

Need advice: Should I learn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice: Should I learn?

Got a beautiful candy apple burgundy 06 Kat 750 with almost no miles on it about a year and a half ago and it suits my riding style perfectly.. or maybe I suit it..
    My mechanical aptitude is average but with little experience.. none with bikes. Would I be able to do my own tune-ups on my kat, after a first run with an experienced bike mechanic showing me/and or talking me through. I already have a clymers manual, electronic torque wrench, parts etc.

Or would this just be potentially inviting some sort of mishap and I should revisit the idea further down the road?

Any opinions, constructive criticism and feedback is welcome.. and thank!!
    Geno.

Go for it!
    Honestly its not hard at all to work on.
    My Kat is my first bike and everything ive done to it so far has been a walk in the park compared to some cars ive worked on.

Comment

I would absolutely suggest you learn to do it yourself. First off its cheaper, but you also know its done right. And when you do your own maintenance, you learn your bike on a completely different level. That familiarity is important to have. Especially if you wind up breaking down or something one day. Between the manual and the forum, a tune up should be easy peasy.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Kats are fairly easy to maintain - don't need much once they are dialed in, and are pretty much bulletproof, and can withstand a fair amount of abuse. I've clocked over 90K miles on mine with little more than plugs, brake pads and oil changes.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
          Kats are fairly easy to maintain - don't need much once they are dialed in, and are pretty much bulletproof, and can withstand a fair amount of abuse. I've clocked over 90K miles on mine with little more than plugs, brake pads and oil changes.
          +1 only I'm at 80k not 90 (yet)
          If you want to mod your bike Kats are pretty easy to work on as well.
          Flushing brake fluid, oil/spark plug/filter changes are very easy and a great way to get more familiar with your bike. I have 0 training and have learned everything from manuals, forums, and youtube videos. I have also never taken any vehicle of mine in to a mechanic (except for smog tests and mounting tires). Read read and reread, research, look at pics and videos, and ask questions. Once you understand what's happening, THEN go try it.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

You should learn. Just make sure to rice yourself time to do the job. Until you have a procedure down, make sure you have enough time so that you can take your time and possibly post questions and wait for answers. For some reason I do not look forward to working on my bike but then find it very relaxing once I am working on it. Each time I try working on something on my bike I have not done before, I like my Kat even more.

Comment

Working...
            X