X

2001 Kat750 Sputtering

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Kat750 Sputtering

I've had the bike for over a year. It's been running really well. Rode it yesterday and stopped to get gas because it was almost on empty. Rode it home roughly 2-3 miles and seemed fine. Woke up this morning at 2 am for work. Noticed once I got on the highway it was struggling to accelerate. Pulling into work I noticed anything past 3K was almost like it was sputtering and on acceleration it's slower than usual like it's struggling. Is it possible that it's just bad gas?

My guess is either bad gas, or running the tank low allowed whatever crap was in it to reach the carbs and plug your fuel filter and possible your jets.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Do you think running a fuel addative may help. like seafoam or something? and perhaps replacing the filter? I'd rather try some simple fixes before I tear carbs appart.

Comment

I would also recommend draining the tank and refill with fuel from a different station to see if that helps, Just keep in mind if you do this there will still be a bit of fuel in the carb bowls that you will have to get threw first.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

You can always run some fuel additive and cross your fingers - but don't hold out much hope. If it is as shpielers and I fear, your tank has some garbage floating around in it. It'll be a far chance the additive does anything for you. The passages will probably need manual cleaning after a dip. Even if the additive and a new filter clears the issue, it will return unless the tank is cleaned and lined - and you don't want these problems returning if you're taking a longer riding tip and will be running the fuel tank near empty multiple times (which you will).
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

If it's rust in the tank, cleaner won't do anything. Clean and seal the tank if rusty. If it's just sediment then flush the tank, then clean the carbs and replace the filter.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So once I got out home I siphoned the fuel out of the tank. Refilled it with gas from a station I normally go to and put 3 cap fulls seafoam in. Ran it up and down the highway and all the sputtering gradually went away on the highway. Back to normal!

Comment

Water can accumulate in the gas tanks. This is why they rust.

Good idea to flush/clean them out every so often 1-2 years... more so if your in a really humid environment (like FL)...

A water absorbing additive once in a while helps if your running the tank empty.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X