X

Completely shuts off for no reason

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely shuts off for no reason

Recently while riding my 2005 Katana, the entire bike just shuts down(electronics, motor, everything). First time I was just sitting in the road chatting with a neighbor, the second time was while stopping at a stop sign.

The first time, I could not get anything to work(turned the key off/on etc). The second time at the stop sign I just sat there and about a minute later all my electronics turned back on(I did nothing). So i just started it back up and took it home.

Any idea on what might be causing this issue?
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Faulty kickstand switch should still leave lights/gauges lit, so maybe your kill switch is faulty. Just guessing though.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah, I know it's not the kickstand switch because of the electronics going off as well. I just replaced the killswitch 6mo-1yr ago as well, but that does not kill all the electronics.

Comment

My shot in the dark guess would be loose/dirty battery connections or fuse block. I believe there is a master fuse as well, maybe it has worked itself loose. those are the only things I can think of that would kill all power.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'll check the battery terminals, but I'm fairly certain that is not the problem. Where would the "master fuse" be? I checked most of the fuses already but I may have missed one.

Comment

On the starter relay but, those won't kill everything either. Loose ground.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

yah I dont see anything else than loose battery cables that could kill power to the whole bike in what seems like a random fashion.
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
              X