X

Starter not getting any power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter not getting any power

Hey y'all, I am currently building an 01 Kat fighter and ran into a problem. I did a small wire tuck (just routed the wires behind the frame) and now it wont start! I double and triple checked and all the wires are properly connected. I used a multimeter at the start button and am getting a good 12 volts there. Battery has a full charge and bike is in neutral with clutch in. Connected the multimeter at the starter connection and it does not get any power when trying to start it. About a week ago my friend accidentally tipped it over (I don't know if that matters). Fuses are good to go and the relay next to it clicks so I think that is working. Any help is appreciated!
    2001 GSX600F
    1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E
    2004 RX-8
    Rotary and motorcycle enthusiast

Hmmmmmm, check the starter relay.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If your getting power to the solenoid but not through it, then its either the solenoid, battery, or a bad ground. I was having the same issue with mine, but through some kind of fuckery my engine seems to be locked up...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Hmmmmmm, check the starter relay.
        Ok so I jumped the two big posts (where there is one wire going to the starter and the other going to the battery) and it turned over. Guess the relay is dead. Thanks again for your help
        2001 GSX600F
        1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E
        2004 RX-8

Comment

Not the way you test it, all you did is bypass it. Check for voltage at the small wires when the start button is pushed. Check the clutch safety switch, it is problematic on these bikes.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Not the way you test it, all you did is bypass it. Check for voltage at the small wires when the start button is pushed. Check the clutch safety switch, it is problematic on these bikes.
            well I checked the voltage and they all drew 12v. Checked the wire running to the bottom side of the clutch and it was disconnected!!! I guess when it tipped over (he kinda ran into it) that wire came off.
            2001 GSX600F
            1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E
            2004 RX-8

Comment

Cool
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
              X