X

Input Needed: Engine Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Needed: Engine Swap

My 89' 600 Kat's motor is getting tired and Im looking at swaping it out for a larger motor...I want something with a bit more grunt.

Now I got a line on 2 potential replacement motors, one is from a 92' 750 Gixer not sure of the milage on it, will find out early this week. The other is out of a 98' 750 gixer with 3200km on it.

Ive been reading the threads in here on motor swaps over the last few days and i was wondering a few things that I havent yet come accross...

Which motor of the 2 would be best to go with in my 89 Kat, the 92' SRAD or the newer 98'?
    Also the transmission, should I keep the current one from the 600 or what year and model would be recomeneded to go with these motors?
    And the carbs currenlty on my bike are from a 94 600 kat, these will be ok to keep with which ever motor I choose, am I right.

Any input will be greatly appreaciated! Thanks in Advance!

They won't work with your bike. Those GSXR motors are water cooled, use either a bandit, GSXF or earlier than 92 GSXR motor ( air cooled ). Carbs need to be matched to the engine.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-17-2015, 10:41 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

if the 92 and 98 gixer 750 wont work then the sicky on larger engine swaps are wrong??? K I mis read the 98...its the 98 750 kat engines that will fit...but the sticky says the 92 will fit.

Comment

There is a transitional period In 92. GSXR went water cooled.http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...750_w_1992.php the "w" indicates water cooled. I would ask them if it's water cooled, if it isn't you can use it, you will need the carbs also.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Hmmmm....back to look for some more motors, thanks!

Comment

The GSXR 750 in 1992 went water cooled in the rest of the word. In the US, it went water cooled in 1993. Considering the OP is in Canada, I'm betting the 1992 GSXR 750 engine is water cooled.

Comment

That was also my thinking.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

One of these days I'm going to find a cheap FI water cooled gsxr engine and wedge it in a Kat frame.

Jus cause.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Me too...
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Me 3
                    sigpic

Comment

What old school frames will a 99 gsx600f bolt to?

So I have this '99 katana 600, the frame is just done but the engine runs great. I was thinking about dropping the engine into some old 70's something frame anyone ever tried this/know of any frames this works well with?

Comment

Working...
                      X