X

'95 750 engine into '95 600 frame: Parts list

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 750 engine into '95 600 frame: Parts list

So I obtained a '95 Kat with a title that needed "new shocks" for $300. Fork oil changed and now it works. Found a great deal on a 750 engine with carbs, so I'm going to snag that. If I've read the Installing Larger Engines thread correctly, this is what I'm going to need:

750 engine
    750 carbs
    Vance & Hines full exhaust that came with the 600 (will this work or will I need a 750 exhaust?)
    600 wiring harness (will everything plug straight in or do I have to worry about splicing wires together?
    750 oil cooler
    600 airbox
    600 front sprocket (already has a brand new one on there, I changed the chain/sprockets as soon as I bought the bike)

Anything else I'm forgetting, need to modify, etc.?
    1995 600 w/ 750 swap (aka the cause of 90% of my current headaches)

You will need a 750 airbox or the airbox boots, the 600 carbs are smaller than the 750 and the oil cooler. All the other pieces will work.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      You will need a 750 airbox or the airbox boots, the 600 carbs are smaller than the 750 and the oil cooler. All the other pieces will work.

They are the same, actually ... for those years. The outside diam is the same on both carb sets, it's the inner bore that is different.

Originally posted by thebook92 View Post
      750 engine
      750 carbs
      Vance & Hines full exhaust that came with the 600 (This will work just fine, as it's larger than the OEM 750 anyways?)
      600 wiring harness (Keep wiring harness for the bike, not the engine. )
      750 oil cooler
      Either airbox
      600 front sprocket (already has a brand new one on there, I changed the chain/sprockets as soon as I bought the bike)

Anything else I'm forgetting, need to modify, etc.?

Honestly, carbs and engine are the main thing. Everything else can be used from the 600 just fine.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks, guys. I had a feeling that the 750 carb bodies were the same size with different bores but I wasn't sure. Is it technically possible to run the 600 oil cooler without overheating? Obviously the 750 is preferred, but the bike that this engine was in was wrecked so I'm not sure if the oil cooler is damaged beyond repair or not.

Comment

I would check, I have a feeling the head side is the same but, the airbox side isn't. I'll check.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by thebook92 View Post
              Thanks, guys. I had a feeling that the 750 carb bodies were the same size with different bores but I wasn't sure. Is it technically possible to run the 600 oil cooler without overheating? Obviously the 750 is preferred, but the bike that this engine was in was wrecked so I'm not sure if the oil cooler is damaged beyond repair or not.

You can but it's not recommended. The smaller oil cooler will still work in most cases, but when you need a little more cooling due to stop and go traffic, hotter weather, or even hard riding, you will see higher running temps in general and a higher chance of over heating when stressed.

This isn't a "the bike won't work" scenario... It's a longevity issue. The more dependable and better working your cooling is, the long the engine will last. If you don't care beyond 10k miles or 1-2 years... then it will probably have very little effect on you.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm just going to bump this thread; no sense in making another one.

So I've got the new engine in and ready to go. No major problems with the actual swap. Had to put the 600 subframe on the 750 engine since the 750 one was bent. No big deal.

One problem though; wiring. It appears that not all the connectors from the alternator, etc., plug right in to the frame's wiring harness. I'm confused as to which wires on the frame towards the back right (a red three-wire connector, a black two-wire one, and two bullet connectors IIRC, all protected by a plastic-rubber-ish shroud) are supposed to be wired to the engine. Do all the colors match up? Can I just cut the connectors off and replace everything with bullet connectors? Or does everything plug in correctly and I'm just being an idiot? I've consulted a wiring diagram but I haven't figured much out from it.

Comment

Working...
                X