X

Add torque or horsepower?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add torque or horsepower?

I have a 97 katana 600. How can I add more torque and horsepower. What are the pros and cons of putting a jet kit in

You're not going to be able to add much of either without spending as much as the bike is worth or more. advancers just move the power band to a RPM that most riders ride at. Jet kits set your carbs to a more friendly attitude with the engine, a little richer and a better fuel flow, a little power added, recommended for all kats. Sprockets can be changed for better take off or higher top speed but, at a sacrifice of each other ( better take off= less top speed, more top speed= weaker take off) best choice if you Want more, Swap in a larger power plant.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 12-26-2014, 05:49 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      You're not going to be able to add much of either without spending as much as the bike is worth or more. advancers just move the power band to a RPM that most riders ride at. Jet kits set your carbs to a more friendly attitude with the engine, a little richer and a better fuel flow, a little power added, recommended for all kats. Sprockets can be changed for better take off or higher top speed but, at a sacrifice of each other ( better take off= less top speed, more top speed= weaker take off) best choice if you Want more, Swap in a larger power plant.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Seriously, cost vs performance... just getting a bigger engine is the hands down best option for increasing output. 99% of the things you can do to the engine in the bike is only going to allow you to tune for the stock hp/torque you have and maybe adjust it to be more in the RPM range you prefer.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Forced induction if you want to get crazy. probably about expensive as that bandit 1100 swap. Blow through pressure type carb setup and a small cheap turbo ought to do the trick.

Comment

You mean Bandit 1200?

Comment

I want a turbo 1216...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              There is no replacement for displacement.
              This isn't just a quite saying, it's 100% true. The bore and stroke are what give you the horse power, period. You can nickle and dime yourself to death. You can port the head, install bigger carbs, enlarge the header ID, change the cam lobe profile. You can take in and exhaust as much air as possible. If the bore hasn't changed, you've spent upwards of 5K to gain 4.7 HP. You can add a jet kit / ignition advancer to shift the power band. You can change the gearing for better low end operation. You can do a lot of things to achieve the desired effect of the performance you want. I'm pretty sure that is what you're trying to get. Horsepower and torque are actually black and white numbers. You can fool yourself into thinking your bike is fast, but we all know it's not. The best bang for your buck as far as gaining HP and torque is an engine swap.

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
              I want a turbo 1216...
              At the end of the day, it's still a Katana. You find a pig, I'll get the lip stick.
              Last edited by arsenic; 12-26-2014, 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
              X