X

Clutch help please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch help please

Okay so my bike turned 80k (01 750 kat) last week and the clutch has been slipping for a while when you accelerate hard. I purchased a parts bike a while back and decided I'd swap the clutches from the parts bike to save a few dollars close to Christmas. So I pulled both sets of clutches. The two sets were different. My bike clutches had a thicker clutch towards the back of all the clutches. The parts bike clutches were all the same size. My bike had dimples in the metal plates and the parts bike plates were smooth

Anyways, swapped them over. Took it for a ride. It gripped much better but still slipped. So then I decided to adjust the clutch cable per the manual's instructions, test road it and it slipped more, attempted to adjust it more and it slipped more with each pass. My question is this. Do you guys think the parts bike clutch was trash and as it heated up, got worse or do you think I adjusted something wrong? I want to make sure before I go spend $150 on a new clutch but I do need it back on the road quick so I can go back and forth to work. Advice? How would I know what to look for to see if the clutch pads were worn out? Oh and yes I soaked the clutch in oil over night before installing.

Last edited by Stinger02; 12-17-2014, 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You can measure the fibers with calipers, there should be a spec in the manual.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Okay I'll look for the spec. Thanks

Comment

Friction plates:
        Qty 8
        Thickness outer (type A) Plates 2.92 to 3.08mm
        Thickness inner (type B) Plates 3.42 to 3.58mm
        Tab width all plates 15.9 to 16.0mm

Plain plates
        QTY 7
        Warpage (MAX) .1mm

Hope this helps some searching...

Comment

Thank you kat Floyd. Do you happen to know the specs on the clutch springs. I'm wondering if they are shot

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
            Thank you kat Floyd. Do you happen to know the specs on the clutch springs. I'm wondering if they are shot
            I was going to bring the clutch springs up. Measure your springs to ensure that they are within specs...........but BEWARE, the springs may be within the specified length but they will have lost some of their tension over the years.
            This has happened to me several times before.
            If your fiber plates are within spec, your metal plates are within spec and aren't blued, I would start off by just changing the springs. Chances are that's all you may need.
            Gently scuff the fiber and metal plates and add new springs. You might be good to go.......especially if you are on a tight budget.

Comment

I'm gonna look at that tonight. I just can't find a spec on the springs. It could very well be the 14 year old springs are shot. I just need something to compare it to

Comment

FSM states spring free length (Min) at 47.6mm

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you SO very much. I'm going to look at these measurements asap and I'll report back. Thanks guys and gals. Hoping everyone has a happy holiday!

Comment

No worries. Glad to help out another gulf coast rider.
                    Looks like your only about 3 hours away.

Comment

I see that your down in Pensacola. I was down there this summer for the HO down car show. "High octane" it was an all GM carshow. I had my 89 formula firebird down there.
                      It's nice to know there is a kat rider in the area!

Comment

Kat in the area yes but im not a rider yet. Still need the license and tags for the bike. Other than a ride around the block im still very much a new rider to street bikes.

Comment

Okay I took some measurements.
                          Here is my original clutch stings that I reused

Here is the spare clutch springs

Here is the thicker fiber plate

Here is the thinner plate

Here is the steel plate

My clutch basket had some worn groves

Comment

Looks like some new parts are in order. Springs are just below the wear limit and in my opinion id just replace the whole clutch just to be sure.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!! It's been greatly appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X