X

Letting bike sit for week results in gummed carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting bike sit for week results in gummed carbs

It appears if I do not run the engine at least once a week, I end up with serious issues that don't go away until I clean out carburetors. The typical residue I'm seeing is a white caked on powder type thing, along with some type of gel that 'evaporates' when I touch it. There's a tiny amount of rust in the number 1 carb (the top portion of my tank is slightly rusted) but the other 3 tend to be clean of it. They all have the powder and gel.

Originally posted by TeaWillRock View Post
    It appears if I do not run the engine at least once a week, I end up with serious issues that don't go away until I clean out carburetors. The typical residue I'm seeing is a white caked on powder type thing, along with some type of gel that 'evaporates' when I touch it. There's a tiny amount of rust in the number 1 carb (the top portion of my tank is slightly rusted) but the other 3 tend to be clean of it. They all have the powder and gel.

The "gel" is created when moisture and ethanol combine from E15 fuel. Your in FL... so high humidity + ethanol fuels = problem.

I'd suggest...

First Clean the tank, fuel lines/filters, and carbs extremely well all at the same time.

Then Use fresh/new fuel. If your not going to run the bike regularly, then spend the extra $ and track down non ethanol fuel to put in the bike. Most places that sell fuel for boats, sell this. Should not be hard to find.

No matter what, Use a fuel stabilizer...no matter what fuel you get. Stabile Marine works awesome! Read the directions, do NOT over mix the Stabile for the tank size.

Additionally I would suggest you confirm your tank is not allowing extra water in with a poor sealing cap. Check your drain hole is not leaking into the tank. Make sure the cap vent is clean and clear. Try not to store the bike in a manner that will cause large changes in temp (park it always in shade for example, so sun isn't hitting part of the time heating it up, then allowing it to cool off drastically... this draws more condensation into the tank from the air.)

I'd also suggest you make sure the vent lines are on the tops of the carbs and properly routed to under the bike. That will also help to reduce the air exposure.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The "gel" is created when moisture and ethanol combine from E15 fuel. Your in FL... so high humidity + ethanol fuels = problem.

I'd suggest...

First Clean the tank, fuel lines/filters, and carbs extremely well all at the same time.

Then Use fresh/new fuel. If your not going to run the bike regularly, then spend the extra $ and track down non ethanol fuel to put in the bike. Most places that sell fuel for boats, sell this. Should not be hard to find.

No matter what, Use a fuel stabilizer...no matter what fuel you get. Stabile Marine works awesome! Read the directions, do NOT over mix the Stabile for the tank size.

Additionally I would suggest you confirm your tank is not allowing extra water in with a poor sealing cap. Check your drain hole is not leaking into the tank. Make sure the cap vent is clean and clear. Try not to store the bike in a manner that will cause large changes in temp (park it always in shade for example, so sun isn't hitting part of the time heating it up, then allowing it to cool off drastically... this draws more condensation into the tank from the air.)

I'd also suggest you make sure the vent lines are on the tops of the carbs and properly routed to under the bike. That will also help to reduce the air exposure.

Krey
      If we had a thanks button, I would be pressing it for you.

Comment

+1 on fuel stabilizer. I use Seafoam and Lucas ethanol stabilizer.(had a misfire on one cylinder and added Seafoam to tank. after running and letting it sit the misfire went away)
        Last edited by KAT TOY; 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Definitely.

My Kat is garage kept so I don't have to worry too much about moisture in the fuel due to a bad sealing cap. I choose to use Startron Enzyme Treatment -- no real experience as to whether it *doesn't* work, but I do start the bike every weekend for a while and if it's nice run it up and down the street a few times to ensure the fuel in the bowls gets cycled.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Is it stored outside? Has to be moisture getting in. I'm in south Florida and I only ride a handful of times a year but don't have any of those issues without a fuel stabilizer additive. It's always stored indoors. The only issue I have is a dead battery from not running it enough.

Comment

Working...
            X