X

01 kat 600 strange idle and low rpm cruze

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 kat 600 strange idle and low rpm cruze

I've recently got this bike and I've been noticing at low rpm she sounds fairly strange to me and I don't know if it's normal. Now previous owner removed the pipe before I bought it so maybe that why it sounds like this? He also said it was jetted and balanced so idk if any of that's a factor or not. After 4k it smooths out and there is 0 driveablity it doesn't stutter or hesitate.

http://youtu.be/CIFBxGhxMnU

Vid set to private.

If it sounds odd at lower rpms, it's probably not right somewhere with the pilot system. That would be mostly 0-3k rpms. It's also commonly where things are not right when they are not.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry didn't realize it was set private. I just changed it so it should be watchable. I've only had the bike a few days and I'm trying to get some riding in before it snows and I start taking stuff apart.

Comment

Anyone else listen to that vid to see if that sounds like a normal kat without a pipe

Comment

Can't really tell, it has a mis. My focus would be to try a sync first. if that doesn't fix it, I would look at the carbs real well. IE: clean them, new plugs and filters.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Alright I'll take a look the guy who sold it apperantly have them rebuit and jetted before I got it. Plugs may be original so I will check those out. He never said if they were synced so probably never been synced on the bike I'll check all that stuff this wednesday

Comment

Well last night I at least checked the plugs they were a bit on the dirty side but don't show any signs of wear so they may have been replaced. The far left carb is leaking some gas around the bottom edge. It doesn't have any driveablity issues in this range and it starts with no problems, under load it quits. The exhaust note kind of sounds like a rev limiter in those rpm ranges wit no load. At idle if I turn the brights on it smooths the idle out quite a bit.

Comment

You have electrical issues then, test the battery and the alternator. Check the 12v to the coils. Must be over 11v. You should go over all the connection points, clean them and use dielectric grease on them.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok a couple more things I got some new plugs I havent put in yet, but I pulled the carbs because one was leaking which I found has a bad float bowl gasket. But I noticed the main jets in the center are 117.5 and the outsides are 10. Now they are all in different orientations and so aren't the a/f screws. Can someone give me some direction, as the bike is stock except there is no exhaust u can see where the pipe used to slip on. From what I read those jets are way to big for what I have? Also of to big what can I do to correct this the cheapest way, different air filtwr? Adjustments on the a/f screws? Or would I have to get a full exhaust or re-jet?

Last edited by Schuldt07; 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Jets on the inner cylinders are supposed to be larger to richen them up. They run hotter & more fuel = less chance for detonation. Not sure what they are supposed to be on your bike, but I think (don't remember) the ones on my 1100 were 110 on the outsides & 112.5 on the insides.

Give 'em a real good cleaning & Chem Dip (AutoZone etc) soak. Then do the fishing line floss deal following the low speed circuit to make sure all junk is out of it. This newer fuel sucks...

------------------------------

From the KR Wiki - 2001 600:

Type BSR32SS
                    Pilot jet 12.5 (N224.103)
                    Jet needle
                    European models (clip position) 5DH29-54 (3)
                    US and Canada models 5DH30-54
                    Needle jet P-0
                    Main jet
                    German full power Y, K1, and K2 (00-02) models 115
                    All other models
                    carbs 1 and 4 115
                    carbs 2 and 3 112.5

Pilot screw settings (turns out)
                    Austria and Switzerland 2 5/8
                    German restricted 2
                    German full power
                    98-99 - 2 1/4