X

starting problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problems

hi all wandering if someone can help or had similar probs.ok started bike up no probs this morning went about a mile got some petrol started again no probs, went for good 30 mile spin stopped for fag break would not start finally bumped her got her home went back out approx. hour later started up first stab of button weird! ps bike is post 750 new battery tested new air and fuel filters new plugs runs like a good un no other issues this has got me baffled am thinking possible poor earth any imput will be much appreciated

Check all of your grounds and connections.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

just had fairings off and starter clutch cover gears were tight all connectors checked lead to starter motor was rusty so cleaned it up hopefully it was that could not see anything else amiss etc

Comment

I believe there is an issue with the headlight socket getting corrosion and affecting the rest of the bike somehow? I would go over the whole bike anyway.

Contact cleaner and dielectric grease.
        1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

didn't look at head light connecters dark now so that's one for tomorrow thanx for the info

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat1100 View Post
            I believe there is an issue with the headlight socket getting corrosion and affecting the rest of the bike somehow? I would go over the whole bike anyway.

Contact cleaner and dielectric grease.
            Not sure about that one, but I'd hit all the electrical connections with contact cleaner and dielectric grease anyway, certainly wouldn't hurt!

Comment

had all fairings off checked all wires earths etc have read on bandit mania that someone changed starter gear cover for one off ebay ever since had problem same as mine put old one back on all ok ive also had to change mine due to crack could tolerences be to tight and when hot slowing down spin rate of small starter gear ?

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninja1 View Post
                had all fairings off checked all wires earths etc have read on bandit mania that someone changed starter gear cover for one off ebay ever since had problem same as mine put old one back on all ok ive also had to change mine due to crack could tolerences be to tight and when hot slowing down spin rate of small starter gear ?
                What?

Comment

A- use a torque wrench and you won't have an issue and B- pretty sure no matter how much you tighten the cover the starter still spins. As long as your replacement cover is OEM, should be fine.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

ok ta it was a long shot but had to ask really clutching at straws think I will end up getting new solenoid and starter motor thanx everyone

Comment

Why? As in what information do you have that points specifically at those? There's other things you can do to eliminate other potential causes. Might have a failing sidestand or clutch safety switch, might have corrosion in the starter button pod, fuel lines that link when they get warm, insufficient voltage at the coils (if it's borderline it might start some times and not others), fair number if things. And they're all easy and free to check. Throwing parts at something when they aren't necessarily the culprit tends to just lead to frustration.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                      X