X

think shes totaled or can i save her?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• think shes totaled or can i save her?

Today i took a good spill, Started to rain while I was riding went to brake for a stop sign and the ole girl decided to keep going forward. I dont know whats broken just yet as im in the hospital. I was hoping to save her but i cant tell if shes totaled. Thoughts?

Last edited by HighRisk; 10-21-2014, 03:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That not a serious question is it? If I've ever seen something that's totaled, that's it.

Comment

Daamn that sucks. Gotta get me a new one now :/

Comment

If insurance is involved, probably totaled. If not...depends on hiw much damage is to cosmetics. From what I can tell, tank is dented, plastics cracked/broken, mirrors, levers, gauge... If that's it, you can get her going again if you don't mind putting in the hours. If the forks/frame/engine are messed up, maybe not.

Hope you're doing alright.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Glad to see you're still able to type this.

From what I can tell the forks arent' bent, and assuming the engine isn't damaged it could be salvageable - if not more economic to pick up a different Kat or new bike.

If it were me and I were financially capable of it I'd grab a new bike or replacement Kat and rebuild that one and mod it as I saw fit. That being said, if the forks/frame are bent, or too many components are damaged it might not be worth it. As Shpielers said, it insurance is involved it will be totaled out; you could buy it back if it's totaled but it might not be worth it.

Benefit and caveat of these Kats is they're not worth much. When a drunk hit mine after my first rebuild, I was truly fortunate that he didn't have insurance. Got to save my title's clean status, sue him for the full damage cost (shop estimates, not my cost) and rebuild it as I see fit.

Good luck sorting it out.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Let me clarify, can you save it - absolutely. Is it worth it - The biggest hell no I can convey.

Comment

daaang :/ glad you're more or less ok -- what did the bike hit? Looks like the windshield/nose area exploded.

Comment

Yeah im fine. Broke my kneecap and a punctured lung but the gear saved my life. Was slowing for a stop sign in the rain when both tires lost traction and i hydroplaned right through the intersection. I bailed off the bike at the curb and the bike smashed info a wall and came back towards the road before stalling out next to me.
                Last edited by HighRisk; 10-22-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighRisk View Post
                  Yeah im fine. Broke my kneecap and a punctured lung but the gear saved my life. Was slowing for a stop sign in the rain when both tires lost traction and i hydroplaned right through the intersection. I bailed off the bike at the curb and the bike smashed info a wall and came back towards the road before stalling out next to me.
                  Ouch. Never broken a kneecap before but I'm almost certain that sucks as much as it sounds like it does. Here's to hoping you have a swift and relatively painless recovery!

Comment

If the motor is still good its savable if you can do most the work yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X