X

Chain smashed up my clutch cover

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain smashed up my clutch cover

So after a nice spirited ride in the twisties, I was on my way home and my chain decided to break at the master link and throw it's self through my clutch cover, taking the push pin and some mounts with it.

follow the link for pictures https://plus.google.com/101600413491...ts/MDvvVL8Z2U7

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me,

buy a new bike,
    throw a bigger engine in there,
    ect.

my main issue with buying a new bike is that I would like a sport / super sport / sport touring and I just gent bent over a barrel when it comes to insurance.

was looking at an affordable 2003 r6, insurance companies wanted anywhere from $3000 - $14,000

the problem with fixing it with a new engine is that the bike isn't that nice cosmetically, 2nd gear was starting to go, and clutch was slipping at high rpm. but as a plus it does have upgraded suspension, and I just got my carbs nice and right this summer.

lemme know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Marc

???? New engine would fix 75% if your problems.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Was there any damage to the countershaft or engine case itself?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Was there any damage to the countershaft or engine case itself?
        Yeah steves. the mounts for the clutch cover are smashed, I assume half the clutch pin is still in the engine, and the diaphram thing the pin goes into looks split.

Comment

Depends on how much you want to spend then, and if you can source a motor.

I would probably put a new motor in myself.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Doesn't seem THAT bad. Pulling the other half of that pin out won't be hard, it's just being held in by an oil seal which is replaceable. Just did the one on my 1100 on Monday. New covers aren't terribly expensive, new cable isn't expensive, a new shift fork isn't expensive, neither is a clutch pack. Personally I'd fix it, but I also like projects and wrenching. And not paying like 800 for an engine. I don't think the cover needs ALL those mounts, so if you're missing 1 or 2...loctite on the remaining bolts?

Either way, definitely not a new bike.

My .$02
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I think that engine was on it's way out anyways, pretty rumbly above 6krpm

I guess I have all winter to find a replacement engine. ebay seems pretty sparse on engines these days.

Comment

You can drop in a B6 engine too. Only bandit engine you ever see posts about is the 1200 but the 600 fits too
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
                  So after a nice spirited ride in the twisties, I was on my way home and my chain decided to break at the master link and throw it's self through my clutch cover, taking the push pin and some mounts with it.

follow the link for pictures https://plus.google.com/101600413491...ts/MDvvVL8Z2U7

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me,

buy a new bike,
                  throw a bigger engine in there,
                  ect.

my main issue with buying a new bike is that I would like a sport / super sport / sport touring and I just gent bent over a barrel when it comes to insurance.

was looking at an affordable 2003 r6, insurance companies wanted anywhere from $3000 - $14,000

the problem with fixing it with a new engine is that the bike isn't that nice cosmetically, 2nd gear was starting to go, and clutch was slipping at high rpm. but as a plus it does have upgraded suspension, and I just got my carbs nice and right this summer.

lemme know what you guys think.

Thanks,
                  Marc

A new cover and push rod, your back to where you started.

It's not a dire as you think it is.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Do you guys know how swappable the sprocket cover is? I'm assuming all pre 600 are the same, but post or pre 750?

I really wish replacement engines weren't so expensive! who's hiding all the b12s!

Comment

All years Pre and Post/600 and 750 will work.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Yep replace the cover and the bent pin, new chain and sprockets. Ready to ride!
                        If, I don't feel it is necessary, you want to upgrade engine. You have a few options.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I need to get inside the engine, check for bent shift pins, and see if my clutch plates do indeed need replacing,

wishlist
                          new clutch
                          factory pro shift kit
                          clutch push rod
                          sprocket cover
                          new chain / sprockets

even with shipping to canada repair is probably cheaper than new engine

Comment

Well you'd still need new chain and sprockets even with a new engine so...MUCH cheaper
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

So tomorrow I'm going to go see a 2000 750 with wrecked plastics but apparently a decent engine, whole bike for 1000 bucks but hopefully can talk him down.

a full donor bike should be sufficient in solving my issues

all the salvage yards apparently didn't have any donor engines (even though we have so many possible swaps available)

Comment

Working...
                              X