Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1989 gsx600f trouble starting after 4 days?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 gsx600f trouble starting after 4 days?!

Wednesday I had my bike running just fine. I have to start it by jumping the relay at the moment, but it ran fine once started. I was ready to put the new relay on today. I tried to start it once more with the old (bad relay) with a screw driver, and it won't start! It turns over just fine. It is either not getting spark or fuel, but I am at a loss. I tried various positions of the choke: nothing. The bike is in nuetral, the kickstand is down, the kill switch is off, and the bike is in nuetral. I did accidentally touch the end of the screwdriver to the frame while it was connected to both terminals of the relay and it sparked. This somewhat concerned me, but I cannot think of what that would harm. I am at a loss, please help lol! Thanks!
    1989 GSX600F Streetfighter- First Bike!

Probably blew a fuse when that happened. You check those yet?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Sorry for being such a newb lol, but where might I locate those? Would they be inside one of the black plastic boxes that are attached to my batter holder box?

Comment

I found the fuse box, and all of the fuses are good. I got it to fire last night, but it wont stay running. This doesnt really concern me much because i know it is a carb issue. When i got the bike not only did it have pod filters, it was missing two of them! so i ordered an air box for it. last night i spent about two hours trying to get the damn air box on. is there some kind of trick to doing this???

Comment

Remove the air filter and push the air box on from inside. Works like a charm.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I am assuming that I will need to remove the carbs to do this. If i remove the carbs just to put the air box on, will they need to be resynced? Also, the previous owner of my bike routed the clutch cable between carbs 1 and 2 behind the bracket thing that holds them all together on the front. Would it be easier to undo the clutch cable at the engine or at the handlebars?

Comment

You don't need to remove the carbs to get the airbox on.
              They would probably need sync.
              The clutch cable shouldn't go near the carbs, it should be on the frame rail same side as the clutch.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If i take the filter out of the box to get the box on the carbs while the carbs are on the bike, how would i get the filter back in the box once the box is on the carbs? It seems like the battery would get in the way. Also, The previous owner must have done it, but the clutch cable definitely is ran right between carbs 1 and 2. I'll post pics when i get home today. Thanks a ton for the help so far by the way!

Comment

take the battery out.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

In the diagrham it does show the clutch cable running down between carbs 1 and 2. However it is a pain in the butt to get the airbox on when ran that way. Just run it along the frame rail as Steves stated.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      take the battery out.
                      I'll try taking the battery out, but i think the box that it's in will still be in the way.

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                      In the diagrham it does show the clutch cable running down between carbs 1 and 2. However it is a pain in the butt to get the airbox on when ran that way. Just run it along the frame rail as Steves stated.
                      In order to relocate it, would it be easier to disconnect the clutch cable at the engine or at the lever on the handlebars?
                      Last edited by batolber; 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Handle bars by far if it will allow the space to do it.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by batolber View Post
                            I'll try taking the battery out, but i think the box that it's in will still be in the way.

In order to relocate it, would it be easier to disconnect the clutch cable at the engine or at the lever on the handlebars?
                            Just the tank brace should be in the way
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ok heres my 2 cents.

If you want to put the air filter in the airbox with it on the bike, you will have to take off the bracket that the back of the fuel tank sits on/bolts to. It should be 4 10mm bolts fastening it to the frame. The airbox is WAYYY easier to put on the carbs while they are off the bike, then but the airbox+carbs on the bike while connected.

When putting the airbox on the carbs, as stated, take the air filter out and reach in and press on each boot from the inside while you tighten it down. While you are there, those boots are known for losing their seal over time, you may want to reglue them to the airbox to avoid a vacuum leak issue down the road.

If you are having these problems, than

A.) A carb sync will be necesary soon regardless, since there was no airbox, by adding an airbox, they will be out of sync. You might as well pull them bad devils.

B.)Since now the carbs are off you are probably going to want to clean them. the riding season is almost over and if you park your bike with gummed up carbs they are only going to be worse next year. Take this oppurtunity to clean the carbs, possibly replace the rubber parts inside depending on their condition.

Now when you put them back on, you will have clean carbs while proactively mitigating possible vacuum leaks (which will throw off you sync). Now put the airbox on the carbs the easy way, put the carbs+Airbox back on the bike. Tighten down and sync. It doesnt take much to throw a carb sync off so any little detail that you overlook will come back and bite you in the ass. Might as well knock it all out and then you will know you dont have to mess with them again for a while.
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X