New guy Idle/backfire issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy Idle/backfire issues...

Hi.

I just introduced myself in the proper sub-forum and now its time to get down to business.

I just bought a 97 Katana 600. in good condition, runs strong, looks great but wont idle and sometimes back fire.

Riding on low speed (surface streets) i have to have the choke engaged, and when on freeway speed it runs great with no choke...

Low Speed jets need cleaning?....Basic carb clean?

It also sometimes back fires.

Anyhow......

I did some research over the last few days and read about , and watched videos about Seafoam.

I put some in the gas tank, and so far have not fixed the issue. Maybe I put too little cause there was not even any white smoke like all the videos prominently displayed?

Any suggestions for home remedies before im off to the mechanic for a carb clean?

I am NOT mechanically inclined.

Thanks

Swede

Carb clean, pop the brass plugs, and readjust your A/F screws to 2.0 turns out, resync the carbs, and try again.

Comment

Thanks Davekat.......Any idea what that would set me back have it done by a mechanic?....I just dont have the proper set-up, patience or anything to do that myself....unless its fairly simple.

Comment

+1 on the carb clean, adjust your mixture screw to 2.5 turns out. What exhaust do you have on it? I highly recommend a factory pro jet kit.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          +1 on the carb clean, adjust your mixture screw to 2.5 turns out. What exhaust do you have on it? I highly recommend a factory pro jet kit.
          Its all stock I believe
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SwedeinLA View Post
            Thanks Davekat.......Any idea what that would set me back have it done by a mechanic?....I just dont have the proper set-up, patience or anything to do that myself....unless its fairly simple.
            Honestly, a mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg and not do anything. Make sure you get dinner first.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Honestly, a mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg and not do anything. Make sure you get dinner first.
              Any suggestions? That sounds kinda not what I wanted to hear

Comment

+1, there is a service manual and a carb rebuild manual available from the wiki above. You need carbs 101
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  +1, there is a service manual and a carb rebuild manual available from the wiki above. You need carbs 101
                  Im gonna look into it.

What about the sea foam/Lucas thingamajig? Anything to it at all?

Comment

I'm not trying to toot my own horn or sell you something, but I rebuild carburetors. That's my full time job. In fact, 92xjunker has two sets I built. Ask him if they are worth it.

Comment

I'm not trying to toot my own horn or sell you something, but I rebuild carburetors. That's my full time job. In fact, 92xjunker has two sets I built. Ask him if they are worth it.
                      Are your prices fair? I'll certainly keep that in mind should I go the mechanic route....It seem expensive though to take them off and ship them and all that stuff.

Please tell me youre in LA

Comment

No dude, your misunderstanding. I don't rebuild your carbs and send them back to you. I sell you a rebuilt set. Once you receive the rebuilt set, if you send me your old set, I'll refund $50 of your payment. My rebuilt sets are $395 with stock jetting. If you think that's too expensive, I urge you to get quotes on service to your carbs.

Comment

No dude, your misunderstanding. I don't rebuild your carbs and send them back to you. I sell you a rebuilt set. Once you receive the rebuilt set, if you send me your old set, I'll refund $50 of your payment. My rebuilt sets are $395 with stock jetting. If you think that's too expensive, I urge you to get quotes on service to your carbs.
                          ah ok....makes sense. Thank you. I will certainly keep that in mind

Comment

Comment

I'll toot it for you. Yes 100% well worth every penny. Never had an issue with either set. Plus they look brand new. You will find that they are cheaper than a shop will charge you to screw up, I mean clean your carbs.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X