Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft chain/guide

1) http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7858#sch280069

2) http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7858#sch278730

I am looking at this diagram to help me put back together my motor head. However, I am running into a problem with the chain and the guide.

1. I am not able to connect both of the sprockets to the chain. Seems to me the chain is too short. (which is impossible because it worked before) So my question is. IS there a curtain technique to putting them back on?

2. The cam chain guide seems to not be going in all the way. (what is what she said) but... its not flush up against the side or in the groves that intake where the top of the guide should be.

Please get back to me.

Remove the cam chain tensioner. If I remember right the guide on the header side is longer than the carb side.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's also possible that putting slack in the cam chain cause it to sit incorrectly around the gear on the crank shaft. Just throwing that option out there. Yeah, I agree, remove the cam chain tensioner, it's two bolts. It's mounted in the cylinder block.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        It's also possible that putting slack in the cam chain cause it to sit incorrectly around the gear on the crank shaft. Just throwing that option out there. Yeah, I agree, remove the cam chain tensioner, it's two bolts. It's mounted in the cylinder block.
        I was able to put in the guide like a glove when I took off the chain tensioner and both rods are sitting flush with the chain connected. However, I now can not put on the idler cam chain(1) because the chain is too tight, so the screws wont reach the holes.. If you need a video I can show it to you.

Reference (1) idler cam chain

Comment

You have something wrong, if you put the cams in with the correct links between them and positioned correctly, the idler should just drop right in place.
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-30-2014, 10:29 PM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            You have something wrong, if you put the cams in with the correct links between them and positioned correctly, the idler should just drop right in place.
            I will double check then sir

Comment

Working...
            X