X

ticking from motor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticking from motor

It sounds like a spark knock. Its constant at idle and speeds up with throttle. Also bike runs but is hesitating from 1st and 2nd. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by miketony25; 08-26-2014, 01:10 PM.
    Every time i sign in i learn something new from the members

Valve adjustment and a carb cleaning would be a start.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by miketony25 View Post
      It sounds like a spark knock. Its constant at idle and speeds up with throttle. Also bike runs but is hesitating from 1st and 2nd. Any suggestions?
      Spark knock would be detonation.. I doubt that's the issue or you'd have holed piston by now.
      Valve adjustment will most likely solve that issue.. and as 92x mentioned, it's a good time to do a carb clean. you can download the manual for your bike from the Wiki along with carbs 101
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Poor performance in 1/2 gear - probably a carb issue, most likely the pilot circuit as it tends to fubar idle and lower-rpm ride-ability. If you're comfortable working on carbs in a DIY setting, use Carbs 101 (http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Carbs_101) to help get through that issue. If you'd rather leave it to a pro, PM Arsenic as he seems to be the resident carb pro around these parts.

Ticking noise - Most likely telling you that a valve adjustment is in order. The service manual (http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...Service_Manual) will walk you through the process, it's not too terribly hard but does require a few basic tools such as a feeler gauge. Again, if wrenching isn't your forte, feel free to leave this to a local shop. At least you'll have a decent idea of what's involved thereby making it easier for you and your mechanic to communicate effectively.

Probably wouldn't hurt to also get a few basic maintenance tasks out of the way at this time as well, IE replace air filter with a new EMGO, change the oil, check the fuel filter (assuming you have an inline one like my pair of '03s do), etc.

Comment

Thanks Phantom. Just downloaded. even though i bought the manual too. Hasnt arrived in mail yet though, i did do the maintenance replacements new the inline fuel filter already did plugs, but not a new EMGO (dont know what that is) im sure manual will point that out. I am comfortable with carbs since i took them off twice now. DIY setting stands for??? I ordered float needles from sirius, I was wondering if the performance jets from sirius was recommended???

Comment

EMGO is a brand of m/c parts. use only paper air filters. FYI DIY is do it yourself. why did you order needles? if you go that route then Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit is widely accepted as a good kit. comes with larger jets and needles. great upgrade on my 750.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

why did you order needles?

92xjunker suggested it as my gas mixed with oil

Comment

I recommended float needles.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

sorry that's what i meant i ordered float needles and seals

Comment

Working...
                  X