Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all...about to give up lol

First of all here is my bike: A kat 600 1994

91 000 km

At first I bought it I changed the oil and the plugs....plus the oil filter.

Ran well..Except the clutch cable wasnt adjusted correctly so It didnt start easily.I fixed that.

The problem was that at red lights (sometimes)the bike would either stall when you stopped or while you were downshifting in 1rst to get to a stop it would die.

So...a friend told me maybe the carbs were gummed.As it was in a storage room.I left some seafoam in the gaz and ran it a a bit.THen we decided to take the air filter box out and spray the carbs with brake cleaner.

One of the exhaust wasnt looking like it was working.After we did the brake cleaning thing.THe bike was alot more powerful and both exhaust were now working.

The thing is that now the bike stalls after 1-2 seconds.Like the gaz doesnt reach the engine.It goes super well for 1-3 seconds after we start it then bam dies...ANNNND oil leaks from the bottom...It didnt before..what the fuck.

Soo Ill take a few pictures.And one last thing.A black cable was plugged under the tank on a small ''red tit'' (lol)I wasnt sure if it was supposed to go there actually so we plugged it on the petcock.Maybe thats the mistake..

Summary:
    -Plugs,Oil,Filter Change--No oil leaks 1 exhaust seems to work only..

-Decided to shoot the carbs with brake cleaner:
    -Both exhausts works but bike stalls and even if I give it FULL throttle..No power and dies..

Tear the carbs apart....fully,sounds like a idle circut has junk in it.
    read carbs 101...trust me it works,I had dirty carbs and it ran like shiz...till i cleaned them...now VEEEEEEERRRROOOOOMMMM!!
    on carb 4...there should be a vacuum hose that goes to the petcock,with out it you will run out of gas.
    also there is a diaphragm inside the petcock,if it is worn or not working properly,you will starve your carbs of fuel.
    Last edited by MACSOG; 08-09-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is your first bike. I'll be gentle.
      Brake cleaner - never ever use it on carbs. Ever. It's great for metal, it wreaks havoc on rubber. Carbs have all sorts of orings and gaskets that are rubber...

Spraying anything at carbs will never clean them. Go to the wiki (upper left) and read carbs 101. Several times. (It's a detailed how to for carb cleaning) Ask questions if you don't understand something. Then follow it to the letter. Don't take shortcuts, because they don't work.

Your carbs will also need to be synced. Critical if the bike is to run well. You can buy a tool to do it, or make a homemade one. I've done both. Homemade works fine, shelling out for one make it easier, but same results.

Until you get the carbs properly cleaned, it's hard to help more. The bike dying at lights could be because it's running rich - carbs 101 will cover that.
      It could also be caused by the bike running so rich that you've got gas in the crankcase now. Take out the oil fill cap and take wiff - if you smell gas, don't ride again until you fix the carbs. You'll damage the engine.

Also, you picked up an old bike - odds are it needs a fair amount of TLC. In the wiki you can also get a copy of the service manual. Download it. There's a service schedule in there. You'd be safe to assume the prior owner didnt do the proper maintenance. You've already done plugs and oil/filter, start with the easy things and work your way through other maintenance items. The only one that might be causing your current issue is your bike needing a valve adjustment. But that doesn't mean you should ignore everything else.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It is my girlfriend's first bike...mine is even older...a 81 kz1000

but thanks all .I will try to figure it out tommorow...Ill read carbs 101.

Comment

Originally posted by war113 View Post
          The thing is that now the bike stalls after 1-2 seconds.Like the gaz doesnt reach the engine.It goes super well for 1-3 seconds after we start it then bam dies...ANNNND oil leaks from the bottom...It didnt before..what the fuck.

Soo Ill take a few pictures.And one last thing.A black cable was plugged under the tank on a small ''red tit'' (lol)I wasnt sure if it was supposed to go there actually so we plugged it on the petcock.Maybe thats the mistake..
          I'd guess that the new bike stalling bit is caused by the mis-routed "black cable" that is now plugged in to the petcock. Without the vacuum line attached to the petcock you are getting no fuel through the petcock.

A test for this would be to try to run it with th petcock in the prime position. If it runs there then you either have the hoses hooked up wrong or a petcock that is in need of a rebuild.

Check out this posting in the wiki to help you get things routed right:

http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...se_Connections

Oh, and what they ^^^^^^ said about the carb cleaning. Do it right the first time or spend hours or days of frustration thinking that it was done right.
          Last edited by skjeflo; 08-09-2014, 02:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

We removed a small tiny filter looking thing on the gaz line.Is it essential?..(triangle sponge )In a transparent box.

Comment

Originally posted by war113 View Post
              We removed a small tiny filter looking thing on the gaz line.Is it essential?..(triangle sponge )In a transparent box.

No, never should have been there. Good that you removed it.

And all that advice above about cleaning the carbs, checking the oil, so on... all spot on, and all of it needs to be done. Every step.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X