X

Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems

I have read over carbs 101 and cleaned out my float bowl covers (which were dirty), replaced the rings, and made sure my butterflys are all slightly cracked open. (is there a curtain turn radius?).

I was working on it and noticed that the smaller jets had a plug covering it. My buddy and I thought that it should not be covered so we left it uncovered. (Was it supposed to be re-covered?)

Now the springs have screws as well. Do they have to have a curtain screw radius as well?

Next, the bike would start after i put everything back together... But I could not get any power. The bike would idle at 1-2 and once I pull the throttle, it would die out. Also if I shift to first, it would die as well. There is a lot of smoke and was wondering if it could be a possible blown head gasket? Lots... of smoke...

PLease help fellow KATRIDERS! IF anyone in the southbay area of california can help me let me know! (SF, San Jose, or anywhere close by)

Wtf? If you don't know carbs why would you remove parts? If you followed carbs 101, (you didn't) your answer is in that manual. Those plugs need to be there for proper pilot circuit operation. I would just pull the carbs and actually follow carb101 exactly step by step. What color smoke? Check your oil for fuel and do a compression test. Post your results
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

For future reference, anything a "buddy" thinks or says is wrong 99.5% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Wtf? If you don't know carbs why would you remove parts? If you followed carbs 101, (you didn't) your answer is in that manual. Those plugs need to be there for proper pilot circuit operation. I would just pull the carbs and actually follow carb101 exactly step by step. What color smoke? Check your oil for fuel and do a compression test. Post your results
        I would not know if the oil has gas in it. But the oil was really dirty. ALso how would I test compression?

Without the plugs, would that be one of the reasons why there is no power?

I believe the color is white. I think this means there is a water leakage? Not sure. Its also smoking by the bottom of the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonF93 View Post
          I would not know if the oil has gas in it.
          Smell it, this isn't rocket surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonF93 View Post
            I think this means there is a water leakage?
            This is a serious issue on a Kat. Once they start leaking water, it usually means the FI system and ABS are stuffed too.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
              This is a serious issue on a Kat. Once they start leaking water, it usually means the FI system and ABS are stuffed too.
              +1

Been there, done that

Comment

Heeheee, good points
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Um...

:

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Um...

Krey
                    My thoughts exactly

Comment

Lmao...I love this site...
                      why.......do I not believe you?

Comment

FYI katana engines do not use water. The smoke from the bottom is probably where the mufflers meet the header. You can rent a compression tester at most auto parts stores, it screws into the spark plug hole to check how much pressure builds in the cylinder during operation 125 psi and below isn't good, it will run but, power will be down some.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                          It'll kill the LSD right quick too!

Comment

A point of clarification

Sorry I never worked on carbs and trying to learn. This is why I joined this site so I can learn from pros. Like yourself and the other individuals who posted on this thread. I re-read carbs 101 and did not skim through it like last time. Now All my carbs are separated. Here are some things I ran into that I believe are a small problem and would like a second opinion on.

Video one (for clarification)
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Screw problem
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

FYI katana engines do not use water. The smoke from the bottom is probably where the mufflers meet the header. You can rent a compression tester at most auto parts stores, it screws into the spark plug hole to check how much pressure builds in the cylinder during operation 125 psi and below isn't good, it will run but, power will be down some.
                            Smoke was coming from below the engine. The mufflers did not have smoke coming out of where the mufflers meet the headers.Then there was a lot of smoke out the exhaust as well. Possibly a head gasket problem?
                            Last edited by BrandonF93; 07-27-2014, 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Video 1, the screws with the holes are the jets, they MUST be removed. The slide, off white colored plastic piece, MUST be removed. Pull the jet, install a bowl screw in the threads by 3 turns and tap the screw with a screw driver handle, it will pop loose with the emulsion tube attached. Soak the tube with the jets. The hole that is missing the plug has a jet inside, needs to be removed and soaked with the jets, be real carful removing that jet, really easy to strip the slot off of it. A good fitting sharp edge screw driver is a must, give it a good tap before you attempt to remove it. You don't have to remove the springs for cleaning. You can order the plugs from bikebandit.com $1.57 each. Seriously, find the issue with the smoke first. No since in getting the carbs clean on a dead motor. Compression test will show the rings and valve sealing. You don't have to have the carbs attached to do the test. Bowl screws won't effect operation unless they leak. Make sure you remove the mixture screws also, the real small one on the bottom of the carb.
                              Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-27-2014, 04:39 PM.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X