X

Bad MPG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad MPG

Recently got a 99 Kat 600 with only 4400 miles. Bike for the most part runs good. However it is only getting about 30 mpg. When it is cold or even been running for awhile it lags in first gear. Once the rpm's pick up the lag goes away. Also, sometimes it idles up to about 2000 rpm but only for a couple of seconds after letting off the throttle then it goes back down to about a 1000. I am guessing the bike sat alot due to it's age and low miles. What do you suggest I do? Should I start by cleaning the carbs? I did try running two tanks of gas through it with Seafoam but didn't solve the problems.

Thanks

You won't get too many arguments that a proper carb clean is the place to start. And while it hasn't done many miles, you should assume that little to no servicing has been done. 4400 miles, but 15 years! Worth going through the manual and checking everything. eg rubber components in carbs, rubber lines (fuel, brake etc.), fork oil, air filter, plugs, and of course, oil and filter. You should also check the age of the tyres.

Comment

I would clean the carbs and also look at the air filter, I know on mine a dirty air filter will drastically change my MPGs.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
      X