X

long start process

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long start process

So it takes me forever to start my bike in the morning or after sitting for a while is there anything i can do to remedy this or atleast cut the long start process its an 06 600. And also is there any HP adds i can do?
    06 Kat 600
    Yes I was in the Air Force, no I didn't fly planes
    Wheelies never hurt anybody

When you say "sitting for a while", how long is that?

You might want to try putting it on "PRI" (prime) when you first start it if it truly has been sitting for a while to see if that helps. Just remember to switch it back to "ON" after it starts.

For power:
    - jet kit (probably the easiest and cheapest upgrade - wish I had done this when I cleaned my carbs this spring).
    - next you can look at exhaust. I don't think slip-ons really add anything (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but if you can get a complete exhaust set, you can get some power increase...and then you'll HAVE to install a jet kit.
    - ignition advancer (good for a little bit but improves throttle repsonse...at least in my experience).

I'm sure others will chime in since my experience has mostly been keeping my stock 600 running as well as it can.

Comment

By sitting a while i just mean like yesterday i stop riding around 1pm went back out to start at about 11 to go to work and it took me like 6 minutes to start up....i got off about an hour ago so it sat 8 hours took meabout the same to start up....and this is my first katan how do i put ot in prime lol
      06 Kat 600
      Yes I was in the Air Force, no I didn't fly planes
      Wheelies never hurt anybody

Comment

When was the last time the carbs had a good cleaning? it could be part of the problem. And when did it have a general tune up?, plugs that are excessively worn can cause hard starting, the wider the gap the colder the spark, it can add to hard starting.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by 2k6Kat600 View Post
          By sitting a while i just mean like yesterday i stop riding around 1pm went back out to start at about 11 to go to work and it took me like 6 minutes to start up....i got off about an hour ago so it sat 8 hours took meabout the same to start up....and this is my first katan how do i put ot in prime lol
          The petcock switch located by your inner left leg when seated on the bike switches from ON, to PRI, to RES (reserve).

Letting it sit overnight isn't long enough for it to require going on PRIME to start unless you have other issue.

Are you using the choke?

Try putting it on PRIME to start to see if that makes a difference.

GSXFJim also has some spot-on points. We'd need to know the general maintenance condition of the bike.

Comment

If you need to prime after sitting just a few hours, you may want to also check for fuel in the oil.
            1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Mine was hard to start for awhile. Took my almost 2 or 3 minutes. Changed plugs and starts right up. Easy and cheap fix and as I always say, start with the easiest and cheapest first.

Comment

Working...
              X