X

Not having much luck...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having much luck...

For the last 4 mornings my GSX600F has failed to start from cold on full choke at the first attempt. When I eventually get her started - usually after 2 or 3 goes with no throttle on full choke she is fine and will be at a 1200 -1300rpm idle within 3-4 minutes. From there on in she starts first time throughout day with no choke. But why all of a sudden is she not firing up first time in the morning??

I even tried starting her without choke one morning from cold but no luck there either. I had new oil, filter and spark plugs fitted and the air filter is clean. She has only done 10k miles.

Very frustrating

Originally posted by DelBhoy40 View Post
    For the last 4 mornings my GSX600F has failed to start from cold on full choke at the first attempt. When I eventually get her started - usually after 2 or 3 goes with no throttle on full choke she is fine and will be at a 1200 -1300rpm idle within 3-4 minutes. From there on in she starts first time throughout day with no choke. But why all of a sudden is she not firing up first time in the morning??

I even tried starting her without choke one morning from cold but no luck there either. I had new oil, filter and spark plugs fitted and the air filter is clean. She has only done 10k miles.

Very frustrating

You mentioned in another thread you thing excessive heat problems are there.

If that is true, it could boil the fuel out of the carbs leaving them dry. I would suggest next time set the petcock to prime for about 1 min, then try to start the bike.

Another possibility is the bike is overly lean, and the choke doesn't add enough fuel to compensate 100% at first (it's called a choke, but it actually is a fuel enrichment system).

I'd try the prime option first.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

If that is true, it could boil the fuel out of the carbs leaving them dry. I would suggest next time set the petcock to prime for about 1 min, then try to start the bike.

Another possibility is the bike is overly lean, and the choke doesn't add enough fuel to compensate 100% at first (it's called a choke, but it actually is a fuel enrichment system).

krey
      Thanks Krey. Would i be right in thinking that the prime option is not a long term solution (will try it in the morning).

Slso, not sure if it is related or not but i have also noticed that i keep having to adjust the idle switch to bring it down a notch after a ride or put it up a notch if just ticking over for about 10mins.

Comment

Vacuum leak, check the boot seals at the head. Your running lean, maybe time for a carb clean.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

krey
          Tried the prime for 1minute Krey but it did not make any difference mate. Started on 2nd attempt with full choke. It is always first thing and she starts perfectly throughout the day after that.

I may put a tin of seafoam through the tank just to give it a good clear out to see if that will make a difference

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Vacuum leak, check the boot seals at the head. Your running lean, maybe time for a carb clean.
          Thanks mate. Hoping a tin of seafoam will do the trick. Will opt for the cheaper option first
          Last edited by DelBhoy40; 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Have you tried with partial choke? Mine prefers somewhere between half and 3/4 choke depending on temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
              Have you tried with partial choke? Mine prefers somewhere between half and 3/4 choke depending on temperature.
              Tried this morning but made no difference... I think I will try full choke tomorrow with a bit of throttle also.

This is exactly what happens every morning on my 600F:

1. Ignition on.
              2. Full choke.
              3. Push start button.
              4. Unsuccessful so try again and she goes by 2nd or 3rd go.
              5. Keep bike on full choke for 2 minutes (approx).
              6. Reduce choke to 3/4 for approx 2 minutes.
              7. Reduce to 1/2 then after approx 30 seconds of running she stalls.
              8. I then put choke off.
              9. She starts first time and I give her a little rev for a few seconds then she is fine.
              10. Every start after that for rest of the day is first time with no throttle.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the bike? I bought a bottle of seafoam so will put some in to see if it helps solve the problem.

Comment

Tried this morning but made no difference... I think I will try full choke tomorrow with a bit of throttle also.

This is exactly what happens every morning on my 600F:

1. Ignition on.
                2. Full choke.
                3. Push start button.
                4. Unsuccessful so try again and she goes by 2nd or 3rd go.
                5. Keep bike on full choke for 2 minutes (approx).
                6. Reduce choke to 3/4 for approx 2 minutes.
                7. Reduce to 1/2 then after approx 30 seconds of running she stalls.
                8. I then put choke off.
                9. She starts first time and I give her a little rev for a few seconds then she is fine.
                10. Every start after that for rest of the day is first time with no throttle.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the bike? I bought a bottle of seafoam so will put some in to see if it helps solve the problem.

Check the actual voltage being supplied to the coils both sides, when the key is on, and when the starter is turning the motor over.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Check the actual voltage being supplied to the coils both sides, when the key is on, and when the starter is turning the motor over.

Krey
                  Sorry Krey but how do i do that?

Cheers

Comment

Sorry Krey but how do i do that?

Cheers

You need a digital voltage tester.

Something like this is more than accurate enough.

Take the gas tank off.

Turn the key on for power.

Use the tester and check the voltage being supplied to the coils on both wires... 2 per coil.

Then, do the same test, only this time having the starter turning the motor over. If your having a difficult time starting the bike, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't use choke at all, you don't want the bike to start in the process to be honest.

You must have a minimal of 11v on all 4 wires to the coils to get a good cold start. Lower voltage results could cause cold start issues because the spark is not hot enough to fire the cylinders.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

You need a digital voltage tester.

Something like this is more than accurate enough.

Take the gas tank off.

Turn the key on for power.

Use the tester and check the voltage being supplied to the coils on both wires... 2 per coil.

Then, do the same test, only this time having the starter turning the motor over. If your having a difficult time starting the bike, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't use choke at all, you don't want the bike to start in the process to be honest.

You must have a minimal of 11v on all 4 wires to the coils to get a good cold start. Lower voltage results could cause cold start issues because the spark is not hot enough to fire the cylinders.

Krey
                      Voltages good. She stared first time with a little throttle on full choke

Comment

Working...
                      X