X

CDI? Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI? Help!

Im really new to the world of bikes and my kat has a bad cdi box, from the best of my trouble shooting.

Does anyone know how to wire a generic atv cdi box?
    Or where to get one for cheap? i really dont want to spend the 400 to get one from Suzuki

Thanks!

Originally posted by DrBrown View Post
    Im really new to the world of bikes and my kat has a bad cdi box, from the best of my trouble shooting.

Does anyone know how to wire a generic atv cdi box?
    Or where to get one for cheap? i really dont want to spend the 400 to get one from Suzuki

Thanks!

Ebay.

Are you SURE that it's really a bad CDI?

It's very uncommon that these go bad. It does happen, but very rarely.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1, what was your method and results?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'll make the assumption that your bike won't start?

It needs combination of spark, fuel and air all at the right time to run. Please be more specific about your issue and your "trouble-shooting" and what lead you to determine the cdi is faulty?
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Well i checked the voltage drop and resistance at the cdi output (from the box to the coils), and there was no voltage. There was voltage going into the Input of the cdi box (found the hot power wire)
          appropriate method of testing?

Comment

What did you do to determine that the CDI is bad. If your not getting voltage to the coils, it could be the side stand safety switch, if the switch fails or side stand is not making proper contact you will get no spark. Do you have a neutral light lit?
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ah, hadent thought about that, the kick stand is up when i was trying it, had the bike on the jack. No I didnt see any lights, does it need to be in neutral to start? Can it be in gear but using the clutch?
              The only way i have read to test a cdi box is to get a new, good one, and put it in. Thats the direction I was thinking.
              Ill look into the stand switch and see whats going on there. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X