X

Transmission/shifting stupid question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission/shifting stupid question

So, from what I can determine, my Katana should be a 1 down, 5 up... 1 down is fine, but I only get 4 up, for 5 gears instead of the 6 that math says I should have. What I'm wondering is if I'm (consistently) skipping one somehow (since it only takes 4 down motions to get to 1st), or am just not ever getting into the last one. In the tallest gear that I can reach I'm seeing 1000rpms for every 10mph (so, 4000 rpms at 40mph). It never feels like I'm skipping one at any point, they all seem appropriately spaced. Is that the actual top gear, or am I 1 short?

the gsxr11 and 1200 bandit have 5 gears, not sure about the 11f but i think they are the same as the gsxr and the bandit

Comment

What model bike?

As mentioned, the 1100s+ have only 5 gears.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by kreylyn View Post
        what model bike?

As mentioned, the 1100s+ have only 5 gears.

Krey
        gsx600f(r/1994)

Comment

It should have the numbers right next to the shifter lever on the cover.

Comment

It's got 6 total. Operator error. After some experimentation today, I found my issue. Each shift I was sliding my foot a little further out, until when I'd get to the 5-6 shift I was just catching the end, and that appears to make it much harder to get into the next gear. I practiced better foot placement and am fine now.

Comment

Working...
            X