X

Extremely high idle.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely high idle.

I have been posting a lot and I like to thank every one who has helped me with my 1992 Katana (750cc) The bike started last night but had such a high idle and I tried to turn down the idle by adjusting the idle screw (counter-clockwise) nothing worked Anyways I read on the forum about someone else's high idle problem and members mentioned that maybe an aftermarket air filter could be responsible for the high idle. I know that (K&N air filters) cause problems so I am here posting a picture of mine to make sure if I have the right kind of air filter. Also, when I bought the bike, there were no screws holding in the filter. (Could this cause a major air/vacuum leak?
    Attached Files

that's the correct air filter. you deff have a vacuum leak somewhere

the reason the idle screw isn't doing anything is because it's already probably far enough back to be not touching the lever at all. it'll only make things worse till you find the air leak.

Comment

check your throttle wires. they might be sticking
      try to move the steering bar all the way to each side and see if anything happens
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Way out of sync carbs would idle very high with no effect for the idle adjuster.

So would a massive fuel leak, or stuck choke plungers.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Way out of sync carbs would idle very high with no effect for the idle adjuster.

So would a massive fuel leak, or stuck choke plungers.

Krey
          Hey Krey how would I check to see if I had stuck choke plungers? Also I have read through the forum to know that you are a guru of carbs. I plugged up each port because I was told to do so. Port 4 is already plugged up from the vacuum line that connects to the petcock. IS that ok to do?
          Last edited by BrandonF93; 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM. Reason: needed to add more

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonF93 View Post
            Hey Krey how would I check to see if I had stuck choke plungers?
            look at them

Comment

screw size of the air filter

Does anyone know the size screws that I will need to buy in order to mount the air filter on right? It has new screws at the moment.

Comment

I plugged up each port because I was told to do so. Port 4 is already plugged up from the vacuum line that connects to the petcock. IS that ok to do?
                I'm not sure which ports you're talking about. If it's the port that the vacuum hose on carb #4 is attached to, the other 3 are welded shut. So capping them does exactly zero.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  look at them
                  What should I be looking for?

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  I'm not sure which ports you're talking about. If it's the port that the vacuum hose on carb #4 is attached to, the other 3 are welded shut. So capping them does exactly zero.
                  Thank you for the clarification sir
                  Last edited by BrandonF93; 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

What should I be looking for?
                    More the choke lever by hand. Does it close on it's own or does it stay half way open.

Comment

When I move the choke lever by hand, it snaps back into place

Comment

Repeatedly? You have to do that over and over and make sure. If the choke plungers aren't getting stuck at any point, than your choke isn't the issue.

Comment

Re screws, I think suzuki part no. are 02142-0512A, and you need 4.

Comment

If you have an ace hardware or other hardware store near by, take the airbox in and get 4 domed machine screws that fit it.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The screws are M5x10 I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X