X

94 750 fork spring ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 750 fork spring ?

Hello all, I'm in the process of replacing my fork seals. When I removed the caps and damper rods to access the springs, there was no spacers or washers. However...the springs were long enough to stick out of the top of the inner tube about 1".

They look aftermarket progressive springs to me...is there anyway to tell? Markings? I pulled them out last night...so I was to tired to look, but will look them over when I get home today, as well as post a pic. Any thoughts?
    why.......do I not believe you?

Very likely just the stock/factory progressive springs.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OEM springs would not be that long, and would need to have spacers some where.

Are you sure the spacers and springs were not installed in the wrong order, with the springs on top and the spacers down inside further?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I used a flashlight to look down inside the inner tube, and didn't see anything else. Also, I have installed progressive springs on a previous bike...I had to remove the stock spacers to make them fit correctly. These look like progressives...loose wound about 3/4 of the way down the spring, then tight wound the remaining 1/4.

I don't know...my gut tells me that they are, just wanted to get another opinion. Wish I had taken a pic before I posted, but I'll get it uploaded around 4-430 today.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          OEM springs would not be that long, and would need to have spacers some where.

Are you sure the spacers and springs were not installed in the wrong order, with the springs on top and the spacers down inside further?

Krey
          I thought the OEM springs didn't use any spacers?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I thought the OEM springs didn't use any spacers?

94 750... OEM spacers should be there and probably a good length long. I mean, we are talking like 10-12" long tubes as spacers.

see here...

How to disassemble the Pre 98 Katana fork for service.

Progressive springs suck. It's worth swapping them just for that reason alone.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry guys, had a family emergency. Found out they were progressives.

Had another question though...manual recommends 15 wt oil. Has anybody had experience with 20 wt? I read it could be used...but stiffen the ride. Is it safe? Or will it blow any seals later on?

Comment

Originally posted by lncoln View Post
                Sorry guys, had a family emergency. Found out they were progressives.

Had another question though...manual recommends 15 wt oil. Has anybody had experience with 20 wt? I read it could be used...but stiffen the ride. Is it safe? Or will it blow any seals later on?
                20 wt will not blow the seals as long as the oil height is within reason. Yes it will make it firmer but it will also slow the rebound down.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                X