X

Gas leak! Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak! Help!

So I took my 93 katana 600 for a spin around the lake, and made it about a mile when she started to loose rpms when I was sitting at a stop sign, got to about 8-900 and then died. I started her back up, and and went to the gas station around the corner, looked in and just above the idle adjuster screw, on the front left of the carbs there is a small amount of gas leaking. I started it back up...wouldn't fire without the choke on... And rode it straight back to the garage. On the way, every rpm until 5k it was spitting sputtering and rumbling like it was starved for gas maybe. I did have the gas tank off, and all the fairings off for painting, and went on a couple hundred mile ride on Sunday, it rode fine the whole time and on the way back. Any ideas?

Ok, so I just pulled the left fairing off to see what's going on, I couldn't get the gas leak to come back, but noticed that far left carb is ice cold, and the other 3 were running hot.

Comment

Air box and/or crankcase have fuel in them? If so you have a needle that isn't seating.

Comment

I wouldn't know how to check if the crank case does have fuel in it. Lol. And no I have pods on at the moment, until I can make room for the oem airbox. What exactly do you mean the needle isn't seating? I'm a new rider, and not a mechanic. Laymen's terms needed haha.

Comment

Does your oil smell like gas?

Comment

A pic of what's going on.

There is no fuel in the oil, it smells like oil. Although, I do need an oil change. That is besides the point.

The carbs are very clean, the little flapping valve and little orange gate (best description I can give haha) are moving as they should. the fuel is coming from the 2 holes at the bottom of the carb.
            Attached Files

Comment

Needle, in this case, is describing the part of the carb that is opened and closed by the float, allowing gasoline into the float bowl.

Your needle is being held open by something, be it crud or that the float is set to the wrong height, causing the bowl to over flow with fuel, draining out those two little holes.

Might want to check out Carbs 101 & Carbs 101 for details on proper cleaning and checking/setting the float height, as well as how the parts work and what they are properly called.

Might also want to grab yourself a copy of the service manual for your bike.
              Last edited by skjeflo; 06-03-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I have copies of both thanks, I had a suspicion that it was the needle of something in the float bowl, but my issue is that I don't have the tools or knowledge needed to take them apart and whatnot, should I try to take the float bowl off by itself? Maybe try to move the float needle with my finger and free it up until I can get them cleaned?

Comment

Ok carbs are off!

A bit of a hassle, but easier than I anticipated. Any advice for getting these screws out haha. They are in there pretty good and not going anywhere
                  Attached Files

Comment

You'll be spinning your wheels if you don't do it right the first time.

There is a chance that your could pull the carb rack off, the bowl off offending carb and inspect/fix/reset the needle and floats and have that fix your problem.

A chance.

Slim.

Shortcuts just don't seem to work well with these carbs.

A couple other items:

Is the fuel coming out of the ports only when the bike is running or even with it just sitting? If it comes out when its just sitting there and your petcock is in Run or Reserve then your petcock isn't right. Fuel should flow all the time in prime. It shouldn't flow at all in Run or Reserve, unless there is vacuum applied to the port on the back side of the petcock.

Also, is your tank clean?

Comment

Appreciate the response, but the carbs are off already bud. No my tank is very clean, and my petcock is fine. The fuel only comes out when the bike is running. There is definitely something up with the floats, needle, or something inside. I got a gallon of carb cleaner and will be soaking them tonight. But I need to get the plastic and rubber parts of before hand.

Comment

You do know that to do the dip cleaning properly is normally a 4 day process unless you have access to a lot of cleaner....

Comment

I'm sure it should haha. I'm impatient, and I want to ride tomorrow, so carbs are out, focused my main cleaning on the 1 carb, everything looked really clean inside, the only grime I really found was in that #1 carb, in the float bowl haha. I think I found my issue. Anyways they are taking a nice chemical bath. Now I'm wondering...with all the grime that was on the outsides of the carb (which I cleaned to the best of my abilities) will it end up inside the carbs? Or will the chem dip eat all that away?

Comment

Originally posted by Kat600noob View Post
                            I'm sure it should haha. I'm impatient, and I want to ride tomorrow, so carbs are out, focused my main cleaning on the 1 carb, everything looked really clean inside, the only grime I really found was in that #1 carb, in the float bowl haha. I think I found my issue. Anyways they are taking a nice chemical bath. Now I'm wondering...with all the grime that was on the outsides of the carb (which I cleaned to the best of my abilities) will it end up inside the carbs? Or will the chem dip eat all that away?
                            You're impatient, so you'll be redoing this a bunch of times? Trust me, you didn't find your issue. No, the crap outside will not end up inside. The chem dip will clean it some, it will not make them look pretty.

Comment

Well, if I happen to jack something up, I can always get another set from you right? then I will have 2. But it's not like I'm not taking my time, and doing a good job. I've spent the last 4 hours cleaning. But I'm not going to go through them with an angled camera microscope with a tiny little carb cleaning Dremel lol. They are getting done thoroughly I assure you...I am the type of guy that will stay up all night to get something done if I have to. I'm not going to let my baby sit in my garage for a week for something as simple as a float sticking. Ya know. And arsenic while your here, how much are your Allen head bolt kits for 93 600 mikuni carbs?

Comment

Working...
                              X