Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohhhh boy. I am confused.

SOOOOOO.. hey guys...

I have a 93 kat 600.

I just went and cleaned my carbs... dipped em... sync'd em, the whole works, I am jetted properly for my exhaust, everything else is stock.

It sure ran smoother... for 5 seconds.

When I started it up after the re-assembly, it started to idle fine.. but strangely didn't need any choke (which isn't quite right for the cold morning it was - normally a little stubborn with cold mornings)

and once the idle settled out at about 1500, it slowly rose to 3k and stopped, i turned the idle screw down, bringing me down to about 2200, but if I chopped the throttle, it would stick at 3 again and idle there.

now, I made a small loop with it to see how it ran (because the idle balanced out again) and it ran very smoothly, until i cracked it wide open coming up a hill near my house, and it started surging, and acting like it was out of gas.. soo i turned it off, and waited maybe 2 minutes, and turned back on and flew home (rain coming) ran fine to my house about a mile up the road.

when I got into my garage however, I noticed I was dripping some gas out of my airbox breather hose... I cleaned it up, and went about my day, I came back some 10 hours later to gasoline EVERYWHERE in my garage, not entirely sure where from.. but it is no longer leaking..

could this be maybe a float not seating correctly? because this would allow fuel into the bottom end, correct? which would get shoved through the crank case breather hose.. which exits into the airbox?
    or what other cause for this would there be?

thanks guys, appreciate all the help I can get!

(perhaps i'm just an idiot - wouldn't be the first time! )

Determining where the leak is originating from is the first step. Trying to figure out whats causing a leak without knowing where it's coming from is like going to the ER and just saying "I hurt".

Comment

true. I gotta take a look at it, I just decided to post this up on my break at work before I get home to check everything over - just wasn't sure if someone had experienced something similar before

thanks though

Comment

I have a hunch one of your floats didnt seat properly and gas was leaking out around the o ring and flooded. BUT the petcock should have stopped the rest of the gas except what was in the fuel lines from flowing so there may be an issue there too. Was it on prime? You are going to want to change the oil once you find and eliminate the leak. if gas was leaking into your airbox, chances are its it leaked into the intake as well, then down around your pistons and into the crankcase. Check your oil, is it overly full? Does it smell like fuel? If so your carbs flooded out into you motor and now you need an oil change.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well I'm home, and I warmed it up and took her a few fast passes up and down my road and shut it off, it's definitely leaking from the airbox drain hose.

and I had the petcock on reserve when I shut it off last night, but not prime, So i'm not sure why it didn't stop.. my petcock should be good, i just had replaced it with a brand new OEM one and it has worked good for the past 2 months since I put it on.

Comment

sounds like your gunna have to pull your carbs.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

i believe so.. haha dang... thought i was done with those pains in my ass for now

Comment

What does the inside of your tank look like? If there is any rust in there you could have done a perfect job on the carbs and had them fill with crap again as soon as you set to petcock to prime them.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  Determining where the leak is originating from is the first step. Trying to figure out whats causing a leak without knowing where it's coming from is like going to the ER and just saying "I hurt".
                  FYI, my wife works in the ER.....people do say that!

Comment

Well, I pulled 'em back apart today, found absolutely no problems, so I ran a small test... left the carbs off my bike, just hooked to my tank on level ground, the 4th carb was the one leaking.. I pulled it open, and found a very, very small hole on the rubber part on the end of the float pin. would that be able to cause all of that??

Comment

Originally posted by Stryder917 View Post
                      Well, I pulled 'em back apart today, found absolutely no problems, so I ran a small test... left the carbs off my bike, just hooked to my tank on level ground, the 4th carb was the one leaking.. I pulled it open, and found a very, very small hole on the rubber part on the end of the float pin. would that be able to cause all of that??

Yep.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Yep.

Krey

okay, cool, thank ya Krey!

new one of those on the way..

I wanted to just replaced that whole float assembly, but I can't find any online, I have yet to look here (this site doesn't load well on my phone sometimes)

i found one on cheapcycleparts but it was $70

have a good one guys

Comment

Originally posted by Stryder917 View Post
                          okay, cool, thank ya Krey!

new one of those on the way..

I wanted to just replaced that whole float assembly, but I can't find any online, I have yet to look here (this site doesn't load well on my phone sometimes)

i found one on cheapcycleparts but it was $70

have a good one guys
                          The float assembly is plastic. Unless it's broken, the seat inside some how got damaged, or the float has a hole that allows it to fill, there is no reason to replace it.

Do replace the old O-rings that hold the rail in place, and do replace the needle when damaged.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            The float assembly is plastic. Unless it's broken, the seat inside some how got damaged, or the float has a hole that allows it to fill, there is no reason to replace it.

Do replace the old O-rings that hold the rail in place, and do replace the needle when damaged.

Krey

sounds like a plan, thanks a bunch for your help, man

Comment

This is exactly what is happening to me. I put it on prime to fill the bowls and I can see fuel leaking out of #4. With the airbox removed I can see it leak
                              from where the needle goes into the needle jet(?)and front jet looking things.
                              I have had two reputable shops try and fix this with no luck.
                              Last edited by knightwing83; 06-02-2014, 05:07 PM.
                              Why are are my modes of transportation a "work in progress"?

Comment

Working...
                              X