X

Need help, Possible Carbs.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, Possible Carbs.

Okay here is the deal, bought a 90 gsx600f without hearing it run, Got it for $1000, so said what the heck...Got it home and done some looking and a fuel line was pinched, got it unpinched and it started up, but ran real rough and would backfire and spit fire out of the tailpipe. Took it for a ride and when I would throttle it would hesitate in first and second gear, but once up in higher gears it would go, but still be rough. Came home took the airbox off and it had a k&n filter and also the boots on the airbox were loose from the carbs. While I had it apart I went ahead and replace the air filter to the OEM filter, replaced petcock, replace fuel line, vacuum lines and put it back together making sure the air box was tight on the carbs.

Once I got it back together it ran great, no hesitations in any gear, nothing seemed wrong at all, other than the starter went out...So I tear it back down to get to the starter and figured what the heck, I will repair and repaint the fairings and tank while I waited for the starter to come in. When working on the tank I could hear some rust in it so I used disilled water, shook it up and their was what appeared to be big patches of lining (I thought the PO left sandpaper inside the tank) there was several big pieces.

Anyways, Today I put it back together and took a little while, but it finally started after it got some fuel into it, started doing the same thing when I first bought it, but straightened out. When its sitting it idles perfect, it throttles perfect, and takes off in first gear perfect....BUT, when I take off it has a slight hesitation in first and second gear, not too bad though, when I shift into third it really starts to hesitate and in fourth, so I let off and start downshifting and it just dies on me, I pull over and try to restart it and it takes a few minutes to start again, and on the way back home it starts the same thing over again. I park it and it idles perfect, throttles perfect...So I have no clue what to even look at. The 2 middle carbs look to be a little wet on the bottoms of them.

Any suggestions, have a big bike run coming up this weekend and I want to make sure it's running perfect when I take it.

The guy I got it from did say it had been jetted to accommodate a new exhaust....As of right now I have replaced..Petcock, Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Vacuum lines.

Hope I gave enough information.

Not sure if it's related or not, but if there's an old lining that's coming off, that WILL cause issues down the road. It'll clog up your carbs at some point. If you're going to reline the tank, POR 15 is awesome. They also have a kit that includes something for removing old inferior linings.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

To me it sounds like fuel is leaking past the needles. That could cause your afterfire and wet looking carbs. Have you pulled the plugs after it dies on you to see what they look like?

I'd guess that to fix it properly, at the minimum:

Clean and re-seal the tank.
      Clean the carbs.
      Sync the carbs.
      Check for vacuum leaks.

Comment

I'm definitely gonna redo the tank, was hoping I could get by without having to at least for this upcoming bike run. Also want to clean the carbs, but was also afraid to tear them apart before the run as well, a little afraid that if I do, I wont get it back together in time for the run.

I haven't checked the plugs since I have put the new ones in it.

I have read the carbs 101 many many times and not sure why I'm terrified to take the carbs apart, I used to tear the old carbs apart and clean them all the time on older cars, but for some reason I fear messing these ones up...My friend does have a sync tool to sync them. I think overall I'm afraid that I will forget where all the tiny pieces go.

Comment

carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 90-97

And that, my friends, is shameless pimping.

Comment

Well I was getting ready to take the carbs off and once I took the tank off I think I might have possibly found the answer...I kinda forgot to put the big Vacuum line from the engine to the airbox back on...Hope this is a quick fix for now.

Well I guess that big vacuum line does make a difference, put it back on and it runs pretty dang good now....Tank and carbs will be cleaned for sure after the big Memorial Day bike run this weekend....woohoo.
            Last edited by twis7er; 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not a vacuum line but a crankcase vent. The biggest help you got was from plugging up the big hole in the air box when you put the hose back in.
              Last edited by skjeflo; 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post

Not a vacuum line but a crankcase vent. The biggest help you got was from plugging up the big hole in the air box when you put the hose back in.

It was a huge help for sure....lol

Comment

Working...
                X