X

Idles great, grinds to halt when put in gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idles great, grinds to halt when put in gear

So I just finished putting a 96 650 back together and I knew the bike idled, but today was the first time I tried to put it into gear. With the clutch still in and the bike idling, when I drop it into first (or second) the bike immediately dies and it's like the motor locks up. It rolls in gear, with the clutch in, so I think the clutch is adjusted correctly, I can't bump start it, when I roll the bike, clutch in, in gear and then release this clutch, the back tire just skids. With the tire off the ground and the bike running it seizes when put in gear too. is there ANYTHING that. Would make the bike seize in gear with the clutch in? Other than a shit trans? I'm hoping there is. Thanks for the input
    Turf
    96 gsx600f

A shit trans wouldn't do that, but a shit clutch adjustment would.

Comment

That would make me really happy. But if I had the tire off the ground. Even if the clutch was adjusted poorly, wouldn't it spin the tire? As opposed to crapping out? (For the record it was supposed to be *shot tranny, but my autocorrect knows me well)@
      96 gsx600f

Comment

That could make sense too. The thing sat in dirt for years, the stand was buried. Would it cut out and just die electrically or lock up, this is more indicative of a physical binding but I'll definitely check it out. I appreciate the insight. I was thinking about doing that with the clutch switch too. But I don't think it's the clutch switch.
        Thanks!
        96 gsx600f

Comment

Yeah, if it is the tranny this thing might get parted out. I have too many projects to be splitting cases. It's a shame too. I just did the forks and new tires and all sorts of junk. I have three things to try first, safety switches and the clutch adjustment. So let's cross our fingers and if it's not that, I just won't hear the end if it from my wife
          96 gsx600f

Comment

You guys rock. I jumped the kick stand switch and adjusted the clutch cable. I don't know which did it, and I'm not going to rewire the stand switch to find out, but it RUNS. in gear, which is the important part. Thanks for the input.
            96 gsx600f

Comment

You SHOULD rewire the stand switch and get it working appropriately, more than likely that WAS your problem. My 82 had the kickstand switch jumped and one day I forgot and my BIKE almost jumped. ALMOST pole-vaulted my bike on the kickstand and caused myself a world of pain.

Play it safe. It was put on the bike for a reason.
              Originally posted by Turf View Post
              ALMOST pole-vaulted my bike on the kickstand and caused myself a world of pain.
              I should have separated those comments, I meant that I DID cause myself a world of pain, I don't think I've ever sprained my ankle so bad.
              Last edited by DeeJayh; 05-11-2014, 03:46 PM.
              ---
              Previous Rides: 06 Ninja250R - 82 Maxim400 - 11 V-Star 650 Custom
              Current Ride: 1988 GSX600F
              As I lay rubber upon the street, I pray the Lord my soul to greet
              If I should die before I brake, I pray the Lord my soul to take

Comment

Originally posted by DeeJayh View Post
                You SHOULD rewire the stand switch and get it working appropriately, more than likely that WAS your problem. My 82 had the kickstand switch jumped and one day I forgot and my BIKE almost jumped. ALMOST pole-vaulted my bike on the kickstand and caused myself a world of pain.

Play it safe. It was put on the bike for a reason.
                X2

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

a bad sidestand/neutral diode will do this too. sometimes causing it to cut out at 4k rpm.

Comment

I just fixed something like this on my 93 600... The kickstand was loose, when I was in neutral, it was fine, as soon as I would drop into first it would die, or if I made sure my kick stand was up as far as it would go, I would start to roll in first and the bike would die once I got over 3000 rpms or so...the vibration was dropping the kickstand. What I did to check this was I had a partner take some zip ties, and wrap the kickstand to the peg and drive around the block...it was fine, so I came back, had them clip the ties, and tighten it up. It's been fine ever since. Kats are really heavy and put a lot of strain on the side stand and if you are like me and want to be sure your bike doesn't tip over, I usually pull backwards on it a bit...that caused my kickstand to come loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat600noob View Post
                      I just fixed something like this on my 93 600... The kickstand was loose, when I was in neutral, it was fine, as soon as I would drop into first it would die, or if I made sure my kick stand was up as far as it would go, I would start to roll in first and the bike would die once I got over 3000 rpms or so...the vibration was dropping the kickstand. What I did to check this was I had a partner take some zip ties, and wrap the kickstand to the peg and drive around the block...it was fine, so I came back, had them clip the ties, and tighten it up. It's been fine ever since. Kats are really heavy and put a lot of strain on the side stand and if you are like me and want to be sure your bike doesn't tip over, I usually pull backwards on it a bit...that caused my kickstand to come loose.

Replace the OEM shim with a slightly thicker one on the kickstand hardware, and you will resolve the problem permanently with everything working as intended.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yea, I'm going to have to, I rode like like 40 miles or so with out an issue after tightening up my kickstand and installing the new switch. Went up to a camp ground with bumpy gravel roads, and on my way home I had to push my kickstand up and restart my bike like 5 times. Is it normal for the bike to backfire if the kickstand kills the bike like that? Because mine did every time...

Comment

Originally posted by Kat600noob View Post
                          Yea, I'm going to have to, I rode like like 40 miles or so with out an issue after tightening up my kickstand and installing the new switch. Went up to a camp ground with bumpy gravel roads, and on my way home I had to push my kickstand up and restart my bike like 5 times. Is it normal for the bike to backfire if the kickstand kills the bike like that? Because mine did every time...

Yes.

No fire does not prevent the fuel from flowing through the system, into the engine, then pushed out into the exhaust. once it fires off again, it ignites all that fuel and you get boom!

Easily repeatable if you hit the kill switch at high rpms, and then turn it back on again.... BOOM!

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

just had this issue. thanks for all the good info

Comment

Working...
                            X