X

Broke chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke chain

hi all this is my first post on here, ive had my 91' 600 for about a year now, last week i broke my chain. after replacing it and getting my chain slack correct im having an issue with the cam sprocket, or clutch. it seems as though its skipping teeth, when i throttle it feels as if the sprocket is spinning out. is it possible to have broken a tooth? mind you i havent tore into it yet just looking for some answers, thanks all
    aka ......

Post make no sense, your drive chain broke and was changed, so what is the new issue. If your cam chain was slipping you wouldn't run and could cause major engine damage, I'd rule that out, noisy is common. Pull the sprocket cover and check for damage and the sprocket.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah, I'm lost on that explanation...

I'd suggest you use media to help express your problem. Videos and pics help us a lot, if your not sure how to describe the problem by only text.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Um... Im confused.

Under the assumption you broke your drive chain, when you replace a drive chain it is also in best practice to also replace the front and rear sprockets. The new chain wont sit right in the old sprockets because they all wear out together. If your chain broke, its very possible you broke a tooth on one of your sprockets.. or they are worn out and the chain is slipping. If I were you I wouldnt even bother inspecting the sprockets. Get new ones. Talk to GSXFJim, he sells them in all kinds of colors and I believe there is a discount to KR members.

Assuming your timing chain broke (which i doubt) then you would have had have torn into it to replace it. If your cam sprocket (turns the timing chain) is slipping than your bike wont runt because the timing chain is what opens your valves for intake and exhaust. If this is the case DONT START YOUR BIKE UNTIL YOU FIX IT. you will smack a valve and be in even bigger trouble.

Either way, if any sprocket "spins out" its going to make a horrendous sound.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'm not understanding your explanation either, taking a guess as to what you meant. If you hit the throttle and rpms rise but you don't move your clutch is slipping. Adjust the clutch and your issue would likely disappear.

Cam sprockets are internal to the engine, drive sprockets are the ones with the chain you replaced - one at the rear wheel, one at the engine.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Sorry for the poor explanation, the clutch is not slipping, also this is the first chainive broken, I don't have any real knowledge on motorcycles, just what I read on google forums lol. When the bike is running all sounds normal, when I start to move it sounds as if the chain is skipping making a loud clunking noise
            aka ......

Comment

sprockets could be and are most likely toast. (PM GSXFJIM about prices. on here if so) can you snap a picture of your back sprocket?

who replaced the chain? did it do it as soon as the new chain was on or did it start doing it a day or two later? what kind of riding were you doin when the broken chain snapped?
              Last edited by maniac1886; 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM.
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I replaced the chain with the help of my friend, got it parallel and tightened down it happened as soon as the new chain was put on, I was coming back from a car show when it snapped, wasn't riding it hard just downshifted for a stop and it broke on me, luckily I was only two blocks from my house. I will most definitely look into new sprockets and will upload a pic of my rear tomorrow
                aka ......

Comment

Pull the front sprocket cover. Chain probably installed Incorrectly, over the clutch rod.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    Pull the front sprocket cover. Chain probably installed Incorrectly, over the clutch rod.
                    +1000 on this, you're gonna have to do the work in this , pull the cover and see what's going on. By any chance did you buy a volar chain? If you did, thats part of the problem, they're shit chains. Buy a GOOD QUALITY CHAIN. Don't cheap out on this, it could be you life next time.
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

+1 on volar. coming from experience, JUNK!
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I bought a motopower chain, I will tear the fairings and everything off tomorrow and let you guys know what's going on thanks for all your help I appreciate it very much
                        aka ......

Comment

Don't need to remove the fairings, just the sprocket cover on the engine.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Just an update to all, I made the rookie mistake of installing my chain over the clutch rod got it fixed and I am on the road again thanks for all the help
                            aka ......

Comment

sorry for all the confusion and the length of time, 92 junker you were correct i installed the chain over the rod... rookie mistake, ill be sure to post better explanations and pics if i have any more issues

thanks to all for the help
                              aka ......

Comment

Working...
                              X