Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

White plumes of death? Help ASAP for newb.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White plumes of death? Help ASAP for newb.

Hey guys,

Riding my 1990 katana 600 around town, took it on the freeway forgot to shift up and was redlining. All of a sudden, white plumes of smoke came from the exhaust, fuck I thought, head gasket blown. Then all of a sudden my oil light turns on. So i take the nearest exit, turn off to the nearest street and see virtually no oil level. Fuck. So I'm running the bike more (cuz I'm an idiot) and I only have like 5 miles to my house but I give up, every stop light the engine dies. I don't want to seize the engine either. So what should I do, go get more oil, dump it in and drive it home to look at it more? I don't have means to tow it. I left it in a school parking lot. Plz help this newb :S.

Well motor is most likely toast any way, add oil and ride it home.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

How do you "forget" to shift up on the freeway?

Big difference in feeling between 5-6K and redline...

Likely was blue smoke not white as the Kat doesn't have a water cooling system. So you wound it out, burned/leaked most of your oil out and then continued to run it till it wouldn't run anymore. I'd guess your bottom end (bearings) is wasted and your cams are probably toast as well. No harm in trying to oil it and ride it home at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
        How do you "forget" to shift up on the freeway?
        You ever been on the road and hear a bike/car go by in the wrong gear and just yell "shift!". I do that all the time. I'm sure the other driver never hears me, but I'm amused. If this guy was riding anywhere in my area, I would have done that.

Comment

Once its completely cooled off, add oil and see IF it will start back up, if it continues to smoke badly the engine is cooked and a hard and potentially expensive lesson was learned. Don't forget the shift next time.
          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Lucky for you engine swaps aren't that hard. I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild it, likely lots of damage. Won't be worth it financially.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              Lucky for you engine swaps aren't that hard.
              This dude forgot to shift. I'd bet filling up with gas is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                This dude forgot to shift. I'd bet filling up with gas is hard.
                Arsenic, you've killed me.
                - Purplehaze
                All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                  Once its completely cooled off, add oil and see IF it will start back up, if it continues to smoke badly the engine is cooked and a hard and potentially expensive lesson was learned. Don't forget the shift next time.
                  I was a fucking idiot, I admit. It was a crossroad that led to a major interstate, no on-ramp, there were oncoming cars, didn't shift through the gears as my mind was on me hitting the 60 benchmark, I just opened up throttle (shifted maybe 2nd or 3rd) and forgot to look at my tach. I guess that's a very expensive mistake but I am a new rider with under 1000 miles to buck. As for this suggestion from GSXFJim, I added oil, the engine will turn but after a couple seconds, white clouds of smoke come pillowing out, this is still the gas from last riding season with seafoam in it. After the white clouds commence, it turns into a black/blue mixture and the engine starts twanging. I figured I'll just sell it for cheap and I'll never forget to shift the next time around.

Comment

Just put a new motor in it. 600 motors are cheap.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm assuming you put the bike on the centre-stand when you checked the oil..........right*
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        I'm assuming you put the bike on the centre-stand when you checked the oil..........right*
                        I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on it =) but he said it's billowing smoke, so I'm sure he would be better off just swapping at this point.

OP: its easy NBD stuff. Pull off the seat, gas tank, airbox and carbs, and get the engine ready to support and pull any the electrical/cable connections off the motor (mark everything, you'll thank me later) take the mounting bolts out and swap. Done. Install is the reverse of removal as they say. Services manuals available for your bike here:

(Makes sure you get the right one, refer to chapter 2 I believe for powertrain removal. Peace, love, and chicken grease.)
                        ---
                        Previous Rides: 06 Ninja250R - 82 Maxim400 - 11 V-Star 650 Custom
                        Current Ride: 1988 GSX600F
                        As I lay rubber upon the street, I pray the Lord my soul to greet
                        If I should die before I brake, I pray the Lord my soul to take

Comment

Working...
                        X