X

Hard Clutch Pull

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Clutch Pull

Ive looked the web and this site over and have found some similar problems as mine but not exactly my situation. I just bought a 1995 Kat 600 and when I bought it the guy told me that it had a very hard clutch pull. he was right when I went to look at it. Very hard to pull in. He said that when he first got the bike the clutch lever was fine. But he went to change the oil and put the oil he used at the car dealership he worked at in it that he noticed the hard clutch pull issue. He didn't ride it anymore after that cause he had another bike and didn't have time to look into the issue. I have already disconnected the front sprocket cover and the cable seems to be moving freely. I was just wondering if the wrong oil can cause this issue or am I looking at a new clutch. I was planning on changing the oil anyway before I rode it just so it would have that correct in it. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

It usually causes the clutch to slip. If the cable IS free, if you have the sprocket cover off check the clutch rod for bends, then check the clutch itself.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

when I go to change the oil is there an additive I need to put in to help get rid of the auto oil or just put quality motorcycle oil in and it should be fine? Also, would a worn out clutch cause the hard pull issue.
      Last edited by jayblev; 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

No, yes but, you'll need to change it again in short time to flush the auto oil from the system, no. A worn basket and parts could, a bent clutch rod could.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

thanks for the info. I will check that out tomorrow.

Comment

Check the eccentric in the sprocket cover that pushes the clutch rod in, make sure its greased well and also look for frays in the cable, make sure you lubricate the cable as well.
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

+1 forgot that one. Check that first.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

will do thanks.

Comment

FYI, this is what he means:
                  Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                  From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                  this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Just make sure you don't lose any of the ball bearings.

Wouldn't hurt to adjust the clutch and lube the cable while you're at it.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The number one main reason for difficult clutch pull is the worm gear on the sprocket cover. Do as listed above on cleaning and checking it.

Next is the clutch cable being damaged or rusty. Check it by...

Remove the clutch cable from the bike.

If you are unable to easily move the cable back and forth with just 2 fingers gripping the very end and not have the cable flex on you when you push, or drag when you pull, then you need to try and clean/lube the cable. If the cable will not get better so that you can push/pull the cable with out it bending/dragging, then replace it.

Minor resistance when it's off = a lot of resistance when it's in place and being used.

KRey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Also make sure that the clutch cable is routed like it should be. It doesn't sound like that may be the case but check the simple things first.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. will look into that this weekend. Im dying to get it ready for the road. I only live about 1 1/2 hours away from the Dragon and want to try out my new bike soon.

Comment

Just a quick update. Its finally fixed. I work full time and have a 4 and 6 year old so hard to find time to work on it, lol. I took apart the worm gear, cleaned and lubed it, and replaced the clutch cable. works great now. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X