X

I'm failing at oil change...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm failing at oil change...

I've got 2 weird problems that have never come up for me in the car side of the world. Must be motorcycle specific things that I don't know about yet...

1) Installing the oil filter. The manual says contact + 2 full turns. I'm totally maxed out at 1.25 turns. I can't get anything more out of it for the life of me. The filter cap wrench feels solid, it takes a lot of torque and then bounces off of the filter without the filter budging. Manual suggests a strap wrench, but I can't get one in there (not even the little tiny one that I doubt I could get enough torque on to do anything anyways).

2) Replacing the crush washer. How do I get the old crush washer off the drain bolt? I've got the drain bolt in a vice and have been trying to pry the washer loose with a knife, but I can't get it to move.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Brian

I followed the same rule as automotive on the filter - contact + 3/4 to 1 turn, otherwise you'll never be able to get it off later.

Crush washer on the drain bolt...only replace if it was leaking before you started <- that last one may or may not be good advice, but I got away with it
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

Comment

Did you apply a thin coat of new oil on the filter gasket? If you did and you know that it is threading on correctly it is similar to a car filter. Make sure it is on well and snug where you know it is not backing off and you should be good. Sorry I don't have any other tips for the crush washer. You usually can get a couple uses out of them though for the cost, I do always change mine. I have had luck using a thin screw driver on the edge of the washer and tapping on it with a ratchet handle.
      Good luck.

Comment

Well, gee, I think I found one of my problems... In regards to why the oil filter wrench worked fine to remove the old filter, but pops off when putting the new one on. I looked up the part number for the filters and they're a slightly different size. Old one was "65/67mm", new one is "68mm". That might be enough difference to make the wrench pop off under torque! Matching oil filter wrench now on order... I'll try for the 2 turns spec'd by the new filter, but if I fail with the spec size filter wrench, I'll just run it as-is. Bolt price online was a bit pricier than locally (until I consider driving costs), one of those on order as well now too since I've gotten nowhere with the old one. 3.5 hours of work on an oil change is enough for one day. I'll get this new stuff in and try again.

Comment

You're really over thinking this. It's an oil filter. Spin it on, tighten it with your hand. Make sure it's tight, you're good. You don't need to "torque" an oil filter.

Comment

yeah just hand tighten it as tight as you can
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

get a stronger knife. sometimes it takes awhile. if you change it every time or so and don't over tighten it it will not an issue any more. it's the same size as honda cars.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

When you are ready to finish up use the correct torque setting for the drain bolt. You do not want to find out how long it takes to correct stripped threads at the oil drain.

Comment

Working...
                X