Carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this forum, but I'm glad I found it. I have a '05 600 that has had idle issues. When I turn the idle adjust it doesn't affect the idle speed of the bike. So, further investigation shows that the idle adjust screw doesn't even make contact with the throttle arm. I pulled the carbs off to look, nothing looks bent. Any ideas or suggestions?

screw it in until it does make contact. i tore mine down a few months ago, gotta set it back right and screw it in till it touch the plate
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I'm assuming it is idling higher than expected if you turned the carb idle adjustment screw all the way out. My first impression would be to check for a vacuum leak. check the airbox boots to make sure they are sealed and secure (I glued mine right to the airbox) check the boots between the carbs and the head too. With it running if there is a vacuum leak you can find it by spraying carb cleaner at possible areas of leakage, if there is a leak it will suck up the carb spray and increase your idle.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Before trying to diagnose a problem, you should sync the carbs and see if there is a problem.

Comment

OK thanks guys. Ill be a little more specific. I bought this bike used with 30k on it. 2005 Katana 600. The guy I bought it off of had no idea what he was doing, i.e. he said that if he was in a hurry he would just ride with the choke on until it warmed up. So, knowing that I cleaned the carbs, am changing plugs, and need to sync the carbs. When I took possession of it, the idle adjust screw wouldn't change the idle speed, no matter which way it was turned or how far it was turned. When I pulled the carbs off, I noticed that the idle adjust screw was not contacting the throttle stop... at all. So, I bench synced the carbs just now and it seems to be working just fine. We will see how it acts when it is on the actual bike. There are many other issues that I have run into on the bike, like the head lights dont really want to work but I ran my own switch temporarily to get them to work and will deal with that at a later time.

Oh, another question, would it be advantageous to jet all carbs to 115 main jets?
          Last edited by semiller; 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not even a little bit

Comment

ok thanks.

Comment

your headlight issue may be dirty contacts in hi/low switch.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                X