X

Idle Control Knob Quetion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Control Knob Quetion

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm no mechanic so here it goes......I have an '05 kat 600 that I just bought last weekend. I had the oil changed this morning and This afternoon I cranked it and let it sit and idle for about 10 min before I ran it...I only went about 3 miles and made a stop, noticed at stoplight it was idling high at about 2800rpms...then traveled about another mile and stopped again and it was still idling high around 2800 rpms....so I turned around and brought her home...I tried adjusting the idle knob on the left side of my bike but noticed that it's un hooked and wasn't making any difference either way I turned it!! ...So after it cooled down I went for another short ride (about 1 mile) and made a few stops...idled perfect at 1,000 rpms, but remember, the bike wasn't that hot.....so, my question is...how serious is it that I don't have the idle control plugged in? is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP? and if so, do I have to take off the fairings? keep in mind I AM NOT a mechanic. so if it needs to be done and it's fairly easy, let me know... thanks!!

Originally posted by kmcmilla32 View Post
    This may seem like an odd question, but I'm no mechanic so here it goes......I have an '05 kat 600 that I just bought last weekend. I had the oil changed this morning and This afternoon I cranked it and let it sit and idle for about 10 min before I ran it...I only went about 3 miles and made a stop, noticed at stoplight it was idling high at about 2800rpms...then traveled about another mile and stopped again and it was still idling high around 2800 rpms....so I turned around and brought her home...I tried adjusting the idle knob on the left side of my bike but noticed that it's un hooked and wasn't making any difference either way I turned it!! ...So after it cooled down I went for another short ride (about 1 mile) and made a few stops...idled perfect at 1,000 rpms, but remember, the bike wasn't that hot.....so, my question is...how serious is it that I don't have the idle control plugged in? is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP? and if so, do I have to take off the fairings? keep in mind I AM NOT a mechanic. so if it needs to be done and it's fairly easy, let me know... thanks!!

Your carbs and intake system are going to need to be inspected, cleaned, synced, and properly adjusted.

We can lead you in the direction to do it yourself, or you can pay someone a lot of $ to do it for you...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I guess I'll just take it to a shop. Sounds very complicated?

Comment

It's time well spent learning how to do it, or you can pay someone to do it wrong a few times then have to learn to do it yourself anyway. That's normally how things go
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

haha good advice....I'm already questioning the mechanic who did my oil change, but he failed to notice that the idle control screw wasn't even attached. That's the first thing I want to do...can you tell me what I need to do to get that screw back in place??

Comment

Just screw it back in, it goes between carb 2 and 3.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The path for you to follow...

Service Manuals

Carbs 102
              Last edited by skjeflo; 03-14-2014, 03:30 PM. Reason: Make that Carbs 102 for you late model folks!

Comment

ok great thanks guys

Comment

Carbs 102 would be correct for your years bike. Sorry about that!

Comment

If the idle adjuster is just hanging there not screwed in, I'm guessing the spring and washer are gone. This:

Here's a set of carburetors that is not done incorrectly:

carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06

Still need to sync them though, and I guarantee a "shop" will fuck that up.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 03-14-2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

sync'd the carbs and she's running great now...idles at 900-1000 when warmed up...thanks for the help guys!

Comment

'Grats for getting it taken care of!

Arsenic (or anyone else knowledgable) - what's the spring and washer do? What's their purpose? Sorry if it's kind of a newb question...but I'm curious and have 0 idea why it's there.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The washer is there to keep the spring in place. It slides over the threads, but where the threads on the idle adjuster end, the washer goes no further. The spring is there to apply pressure to the idle adjuster assembly. With the applied pressure, once the idle is set properly, the screw will not back out or raise the idle further. Same concept as a split lock washer. The idle will not be altered by the assembly moving due to vibration.

Comment

Ooooh, gotcha, thanks! Makes sense, can't use a split washer in there.
                            I love ejdamacation!
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah not sure how spring came loose, I guess it just got turned too far one way
                              Last edited by kmcmilla32; 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X