Seeking advice before tearing into her once more

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice before tearing into her once more

Hey Katriders,

She's been running a bit rough for two days now, thought it might have been bad gas but i've passed through 2 tanks no with no luck.

Carbs were cleaned late October/Early November -- Stock jetting, all wires snipped back on the coils a bit to get fresh connections. Cranks fast, voltage is at the coils and battery holds a charge well between running. Carbs were sync'd and she was running perfecto in the cold weather we were having.

As of the last three days she doesn't seem to want to idle smooth, and particularly not smooth enough for my comfort at stock idle speed. She takes about 4 or 5 seconds to fire up now, needs choke and can be backed off after a bit. Once she's warm aside from the idle issue where it's jumping around about 400rpm at times she'll rev clean and smooth to near red-line. Can take off from a red light fine, but the idle issue has caused it to die on me at a light once.

Is it possible something got in my pilot circuit, perhaps a vacuum leak got induced somehow? (she hasn't sat more than overnight) Changing weather affected the carbs? Just looking for some insight or similar experiences before I get back from college Friday and being looking it over.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Oh yeah, tank is/was sparkling.
    - Purplehaze

Comment

bouncy idle is almost always an air/vacuum leak of some sort.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        bouncy idle is almost always an air/vacuum leak of some sort.

Krey
        That's what I was thinking, perhaps it was my admittedly shoddy work of clogging the air-box drain that may have come undone. My plan is to check for vacuum leaks first and move onto the carbs if necessary. (Which would be real bollocks considering I'd cleaned them not long ago.)
        - Purplehaze

Comment

A vacuum leak is often the issue.
          You've covered just about everything but don't forget to ensure the valves are adjusted. Unfortunately, a rather too common neglect item.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
            A vacuum leak is often the issue.
            You've covered just about everything but don't forget to ensure the valves are adjusted. Unfortunately, a rather too common neglect item.

I'd adjusted them less than 400 miles ago.
            - Purplehaze

Comment

break out the brake clean or silocone spray and find that vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkohs View Post
                break out the brake clean or silocone spray and find that vacuum leak.
                Starting fluid (Ether) also works well. I don't know what is the least harmful around other parts, but I know brake cleaner is some harsh stuff.
                First motorcycle - new project
                1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Yeah I'm going to use starter fluid, it has less vicious reactions with plastic bits. Afterwards I'll tear into components as necessary.

This is all common knowledge, honestly reading this thread is like, "Well, duh."
                  Suppose I was just flustered.
                  - Purplehaze

Comment

No harm in asking questions even if you know the answer. It's alway good to have someone else back up your way of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                      Yeah I'm going to use starter fluid, it has less vicious reactions with plastic bits. Afterwards I'll tear into components as necessary.

This is all common knowledge, honestly reading this thread is like, "Well, duh."
                      Suppose I was just flustered.

Rubbing alcohol in a spritzer or spray bottle works as well with 0 side effects, and pretty safe for you to handle.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                      X